Monday, January 23, 2006

The brain fart heard round the world....

***My server is down and therefore there are no banner or sidebar images. I have contacted the server administrator (my dad) and bribed him with cookies. In the meantime, picture me in my underwear...it's not as scary as you think***

This weekend was a blur. I spent some quality time with the Usual Suspects (the T.G.K.W.B at Claudia'son Sunday. Dang! Did you know that knitter are not only fabulous people, filled with grace, humor and kindness...but that they can cook too?! Whew, I returned home after six hours of chatting it up, laughing my arse off, discussing the finer points of sweater design and EATING. I swear it was midnight when I returned home (disguised as 6 p.m.)

Thank you Claudia for opening your home to us, 'twas fabulous time. It made me so anxious for SPA

"What's up with the title of this Post dear Bookish?"

I am so glad you asked! Stitchy and I were discussing the madness over at Harlot's place. It seems that both of us were resisting for the same reason - we didn't think we could do that to our marriages. Now, Rob is a supportive and loving knitting widower. Insanity disguised as competition? Now this might push him toward the court house.

While discussing my competitive edge with the hubbers we decided that you could go one of two ways with this - skill or pace. You could do something technically challenging or you could try to set a land speed record. Me, I think I would do better with an entry that challenges me to knit something quickly. Cause, I'm slow...and while I love finishing, I usually stall before I get there. I haven't figured out where I'm going with my entry. But, I do know that I'm entering.

Back to the Stitchster and our conversation. Somewhere, somehow a brain farted between us and an idea was born. Kellee joined into the fun and offered to host this effort to build community and spread insanity.

My friends we have - Team Boston. Live in Boston? Crazy is as crazy does - Please, read this lovely invite engraved on the finest parchment for your tactile pleasure.

As you all know, The Yarn Harlot. Not only is she challenging our knitting bravado, she is asking us to put our collective sanity on the line for her amusement (sure, she'll say it's so we can feel some sense of accomplishment, but really, she wants to see us squirm). And against every instinct I possess, I have decided to take up this challenge.

But I can't do it alone.

Obsession Kellee, Stitchy McYarnpants and I have decided to co-sponsor Team Boston in the first annual Knitting Olympics.

What does it take to join Team Boston? Got yarn? Got a wicked pissah accent? You're in. If you live within, let's say, an hour of Boston, you are hereby a Boston Knitter. We've set up a team blog so participants can upload photos and update whenever they want! Share your progress or disappointing lack thereof. Delight in the thrill of your teammates victories or relish in the agony of their defeat (and in the case of sock knitters, de feet). But mostly, improve your odds of actually finishing something using the tried and true method of mob rule.

If you’ve joined the Harlot’s Olympics and want to participate in our little support group, send an email to teambostonknitters at Yahoo dot com (you’ll have to turn that into an actual email address. Consider it your first test as a team member).

-your first name (or however you'd like to appear in the sidebar)

-blog name and address if you have one, though it's not necessary
-what you're knitting, if you've decided (if you've already posted a photo of what you're making, include that link).

We’ll reply with info that will allow you to become a Guest Poster. Since humans are actually dispensing the invitations manually, you probably won’t get an immediate response, but rest assured, we'll get to you as soon as possible.

We've also created an email address for any questions you may have for us. It's teambostonknitters at Yahoo dot com (hey! that's the same address as above, we're geniuses).

Don't wanna knit but would like to cheer? There is a place for you too...

Click the button below to go to the Team Boston Blog!


17 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Go Team Boston Go! I'll be cheering you on from my neck 'o the woods. See you at SPA!

1/24/2006 11:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Honey, I'm saying this with all the love in the world, you need to go for pace. Preferably something you've knit before, just not in sixteen days. The FINISHING will be the challenge for you.

Don't go for the skill thing. You've got SO MUCH LIFE SKILL (I know this for sure) but you don't want to take something on where you are hesitant. You need to feel comfortable.

Oh and I'm not even signing up for TEAM Boston. Because if I'm not an honorary member already, well, then, I'm just crawling back into the hole to cry.

I'm way jealous of the meet-up at C's but can I tell you, with all my heart, the part I'm sadest about is missing you? I love you!

1/24/2006 11:44 AM  
Blogger Vicki Knitorious said...

How gosh darn cute is that?

1/24/2006 11:59 AM  
Blogger Martha said...

Oh, I don't know! I really should be concentrating on the thing I was knitting at Claudia's right now, and it doesn't qualify because I already started it. But my Boston accent is the balls (get me drunk and listen!) and I can even drive in Boston like nobody's business--left turn from the right hand lane? not a problem--so I kind of feel like it's unpatriotic of me to sit it out. What to do, what to do??

1/24/2006 12:38 PM  
Blogger claudia said...

Can I be a coach? Seriously, I would make a damn fine coach.

1/24/2006 3:46 PM  
Blogger Danielle said...

Oh, damn you. I've been trying HARD to avoid the Knitting Olympics bug. But, throw out the phrases "knitting challenge" and "Yarn Harlot" to a crazy knitter ... yeah, I wanna be in on it! I will have to give some thought to my project and then I'll email you at your uber-creative email address...

And, just to give my Boston accent some street cred ... I thought that a winter ski coat was a "parker" until I perused the PARKA selection in an LL Bean catalogue. Yeah, I was about 12 or 13 before I figured it out ...

1/24/2006 4:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'll be a chealeadah. Aftah this long in Boston, I think I can do it.

1/24/2006 4:27 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

Hmm, maybe we were thinking too generally with our Team Midwest...

1/24/2006 4:36 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

Thanks - but I think there are just maybe two of us in Team Midwest, and we don't have a central location... If we get one, I will let you know!

1/24/2006 5:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't live near Boston, so I can't play, But, I will wave my cowbell for you all. Good luck!

1/24/2006 8:59 PM  
Blogger Kristen said...

on the one hand, it'd be great to be on the team because, well, what's better then attempting a challenge with others who share a common goal? the other hand? I'd probably spend too much time worrying that I'm not knitting enough to keep up with the team. Good (?) thing I don't have to choose to sign up?

(I'm sorry I didn't get to see you too! (and by that I mean that I did "see" you but didn't actually *see* you...) Perhaps another time, soon? if not, SPA. :)

1/24/2006 9:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

can i be team boston's official cheerleader? i absolutely cannot enter the KOs - i have exams during the last half of it - but i will happily cheer from the sidelines!

1/24/2006 11:10 PM  
Blogger wenders said...

OMG. I haven't even finished reading your post and I am wicked glad, more than usual, that I live IN BOSTON. I am so ON THE TEAM. I'll be the chubby girl at the end that every one says "honey, it's so good that you TRIED". Or maybe that's a Texas thing. ANYWAY. I am IN.

1/25/2006 12:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Wendy,

How fun! Got out my pom-poms (that doesn't sound good, does it?) - add me to the cheerleaders!!

1/26/2006 8:14 AM  
Blogger WandaWoman said...

What fun! That sounds like a great idea! I would say Go Boston, but . . .I'm rooting for the Denver team! Not that there is one, but you know. Nah, really, I'm voting for us all so that we all win.

Oh, did you receive the package for the one sock for your sis?

1/26/2006 10:59 PM  
Blogger Dana S. Whitney said...

I shoulda known you were paht a' dis team Bahston thing. Oops, I might be from Jersey... cause I'm try'n' so hahd naht ta sound Texan.
Wender's is mistaken... that Good you tra'd thing is what mother's say. In Texas it's, honey, you'll NEVER get to Killen if you do your head turns like thaht. Bless your heart.

1/27/2006 4:46 AM  
Blogger Thea said...

now THAT's a button worth posting. Hilarious..makes me proud to be a team member...

Do we each pick which chick we think looks most like us?

2/05/2006 8:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home