Sunday, March 19, 2006

Spinning like it was my Job

**Edited to add this kickass watercolor painted by Maggie (posted with her permission.) I meant to include this in the post below and forgot!!! I saw this on her site a few weeks ago, I adore it and it gives me warm fuzzies.**






Me and Robot (the name of the new laptop) with Bookish Spun Yarn in the foreground. Yes, Yes, it's true. This may be old news - The Bookish Girl has succumbed to spinning fever.

I had some great teachers, a kickass dealer and fabulous cheer leaders. The atmosphere of SPA was one of support and camaraderie. Carole was kind enough to let me commander her wheel. She was also the one who helped me to finally "get it'. How you ask? It was her sage advice and her well honed teaching method that finally brought me to understanding. Let's see if I can explain.

I was having a hard time understanding how to draft (is that right?) and when to let the yarn go into the little hole to wind itself around the thimble thingy. (Please, bear with me, I'm a spinning retard.) My hands were all over the place. My left behind the right, my right not sure when to run up or down the yarn. When do I grasp harder? How do I know how fast to move the hands?

I felt like a teenage girl having my first experience with a boy. And, as it turns out, I essentially was a teenage girl. Apparently, one can liken the motion of the hands during spinning to the motion of the hands during a tryst with a boy.

eh-hem.

Do you need me to draw a picture?

Yay, I didn't think so.

Needless to say, my spinning improved about 100% after Carole used this analogy. Being the good teacher that she is she did not mince words so much (and honestly, I wouldn't either except that I fear some young Juliet may find her way here and get her socks shocked off.) It was totally hilarious.

By the end of the weekend I was able to spin sober and tipsy. Ironically, the tipsy portion of the yarn was a lot better. Go Figure. I wouldn't' say that I'm in love with spinning. I definitely wouldn't say that I was good at it. However, I can definitely see how it could be addicting!

Keep your wheels away from me you spinning pimps.


12 Comments:

Blogger --Deb said...

I'm not addicted to spinning, but I enjoy it a lot, even if it can't compete with knitting and reading . . . not quite! It does have phases where it comes close, though, so watch out for those! (grin) It is fun, though....

3/19/2006 10:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That crazy Carole! Sounds like a VERY fun lesson!

3/19/2006 10:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're spinning! Yeah! Soon the wheel and then the tons and tons of fiber. Oh yes, you are of the body now.

Ya know, I have 2 spinning wheels and I'd love to sell one. I'm just sayin'.

3/19/2006 10:41 PM  
Blogger CynCyn said...

maybe with that analogy, i'll become a decent spinner... and i wonder how long it'll take for you to try to convert others to the dark side?

3/19/2006 10:58 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

I think I would've been laughing too hard to get much spinning done...

3/19/2006 11:27 PM  
Blogger Kathy said...

You just have to love any teacher who uses analogies like that!

3/20/2006 2:46 AM  
Blogger Carole Knits said...

Great story, Wendy. Although, I fear I've been immortalized. And maybe not in a good way. Hee!
I had a blast showing you the, errr, ropes. So, when are you going to get a wheel of your own?

3/20/2006 8:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hee. I'd forgotten that you gave the fiber manual pleasure.

Ahem.

3/20/2006 10:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Probably because when you're tipsy, you're more relaxed. Those teenage boys with the offers of beer were on to something.

3/20/2006 10:52 AM  
Blogger claudia said...

I. Had. Never thought of that.

Laughing my ass off!

3/20/2006 11:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

and she's gone, gone, gone....

3/20/2006 11:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

*LMAO* too funny!

3/20/2006 9:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home