Thursday, October 21, 2004

All swatched up and ready to play

Husband Robby woke up this morning and said, "I think I have a sports hangover." We're exhausted, but pretty excited. This is a fun time of the year. It's even more fun to feel the energy and spirit in Boston. Cars honking in the street, people screaming. I can't imagine what it must be like for the long time fans. I never really understood this Red Sox thing until last year. I don't know what it is. But the chip is big and the sholders are strong. I wonder if the city will deflate a bit now? A week to go.

Speaking of which. We've still got one more team to pull for. The Astros are playing Game 7 tonight. Rob is a long time fan. While packing the house to move last year we came across his "baseball" notebook from when he was a kid. He cut out headlines from newspapers, drew the players, etc. It's all things Astros. They've never been to the playoffs, never been to a World Series. Go Astros!

On to knitting....

I've begun the Christmas Knitting in earnest. This is my first Knittable Christmas. I didn't learn until January of this year. I've got a secret birthday/holiday present on the needles right now. I'm way short on yarn....I'll be doing a bit of improvising. I'll fill you in later.

I swatched for another birthday/holiday present. It's for my sister. I think I can blab about because I'm pretty sure she hasn't found me here yet. In a few months she's be the proud owner of Banff. The pattern can be found on Knitty, although I'm using the Knit Wit version. It may have been reworked a bit, I'm not sure. I'm substituting the pattern yarn with Araucania Nature Wool that was purchased at Windsor Button's Columbus Day sale. (I didn't buy it here, but you can check out the yarn. The closest color is #4, the skeins I have are MUCH lighter.) The color is awesome. I stood in that store for a least an hour with four different colors in my hand. I chose a pinky/salmon color. I made the right choice. It's hand dyed and the subtle color change is pretty cool on the swatch. I haven't taken pictures yet...this weekend in the daylight.

I'll have you know that I'm taking this swatching process very seriously. Robby's Big Sack is too small for him and my shapely tank had to have the crap blocked out of it. The madness has to stop. I'm going to get this right if it kills me. I cracked the binding on a new journal last night and wrote down the needle size, the pattern gauge, and my pre-blocked swatch gauge (measured three times). I then dunked the swatch and left it to dry over night. Pre-dunk I had a few too many stitches per inch (my row gauge was right on). The swatch loosened up quite a bit after washing. I haven't measured yet but I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I'm nervous about yardage and don't want to "waste" any more yarn.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home