Wednesday, November 09, 2005

Map My World

I'm back from my trip in presence only. I'm working through a couple of big projects at work and leaving myself little time to blog. Note to self: This must change.


A few months ago my site meter feature added a map to the stats. This allows me to see where in the world all of the people hitting my blog are. It's interesting and I love it. The only problem - I can't tell who they are. My stats are not that detailed.

Kerstin recently posted a fun map feature (Thanks Crazy!). The Geographer in me (B.S., M.S.) couldn't resist. I've set up my own map! Please, Please, Please go and leave me a note, you most definitely do not need a blog to participate. You can use html to create a link to your site in your note. You can also leave your email address (if you're comfortable.)

This is so freaking fun!



Will the real Bookish Girls please stand up!?

Check out our Frappr!

While you do that I have some blog housekeeping...

All you commenters out there. I have a question. If you have a Blogger blog and leave a comment on another Blogger blog how do you make it so that a click on your comment sends the person to your blog and not to your Blogger profile?

Also, as most of you know Blogger doesn't give me the emails of my commenters. This is a bummer and it drives me bonkers. I have been in the process of moving over to WordPress for about 6 months now. I just can't get it together. My url is bought. My software is loaded. My gun is shooting blanks. Annnnyway.... I have been good about tracking down many of your emails. However, if your name is Ann, Anne, or ANN - I can't tell the difference unless your name links to your site. Kathy's - same deal. Overall, I hate not being able to email back each individual comment. Please know that if I haven't it is because: a) I can't find your email, b) I'm slow as tar, c) Life has gotten the better part of me.


12 Comments:

Blogger Steph said...

Well. I tried. But apparently Dartmouth, Nova Scotia is an invalid city. Sigh. Canada is a real place, Mr. Google map. Yeesh.
(sorry for the outburst, just though I would let you know that it doesn't seem to recognize Canada)

11/09/2005 3:02 PM  
Blogger Beth said...

I added myself to the map (apparently I'm the only cool person in St. Louis. But I knew that.)

And if people don't include their e-mail addresses when they post, then I don't sweat it. I used to go hunting for web-sites and "e-mail me" buttons, but no more! I don't have time for that. If someone wants a response, they need to indicate an appropriate method for doing so.

(As I post this, I'm noticing that I'm just signing in to Blogger, and not indicating any e-mail address. And if you don't get the notification from Blogger you might not get my address. But that's ok. I don't need a response, and it's not too hard to find on my blog anyway, if you should feel a need to respond.)

11/09/2005 4:53 PM  
Blogger EvaLux said...

You finally got me out of lurkdom LOL. I've been reading your blog for a while and am enjoying it a lot!!!! I'm the only one in Europe so far on your map. I was actually surprised that it would have it on there as the country's sooooooo tiny (999 square miles big or is it km... I keep mixing them up :)).

Steph, have you tried hitting the "not in the US" thingy on the form??? It did the trick for me.

cheers Eva

11/09/2005 5:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey girly,
Glad to see you back! I'll put myself on your map but I'm not far from you. Course you already know that. And I don't use blogger, I use movable type. I get a nice email for every comment left on my blog. Makes it very easy to reply to comments. Anyhoo, you doing any knitting or what?

11/09/2005 5:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So are you saying that you can see who's looking at your blog and if so how? How do you navigate to this feature on Blogger?

11/09/2005 6:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I put myself on your bookish map, but couldn't find a spot for my website address, so here it is! And yes, that's a booga bag (unfelted) on my head.

11/09/2005 6:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wendy, I have yet to figure that out in Blogger either. It seems as long as you have a Blogger profile, that's where it points you too. If a person leaves their email in the post, you'll get it, but otherwise if it's not in the profile, you won't find it. Another thing I did notice, is that if your blog is set up to accept "anonymous" comments, meaning they don't have to have a Blogger account to leave a comment, then you can sign in as other and put in your name and webpage, but you could easily put in your email address in the webpage, or if your webpage has your email address somewhere on it (i.e. email button or email link), then that is another alternative. But basically, you probably just need to get off of Blogger. I got a Haloscan account, which if you don't purchase the premium account (all of $12), will not email the comments to you, but you can check your page for comments or log into Haloscan and you can go to manage comments and click on the link for the commenters name, which pulls up a blank email with that person's email address. If you do pay for the Haloscan commenting via email (read: upgrade), know that it works somewhat sporadically, as Haloscan is run by one person, so it's not always that reliable either. I would say WordPress is the way to go.

HTH,
Wanda

11/09/2005 6:25 PM  
Blogger Vicki Knitorious said...

Oh, I love the map!!! I don't always know how to use my techno-(not-so-)savvy, though, as evidenced by my entry...

Hmm, you like some geography, do ya? I thought I had my P.O. duties taken care of yesterday, but you be watching your mailbox for somethin' special...

11/10/2005 9:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hello from one of the anonymous annes. i have to give a major thumbs up to wordpress - i've been using it for five or six months now and i love it. it was a bit of a challenge to get set up initially, but now it's great. i'm not sure i totally remember how i did it, but if you need help, you can try me - although my best piece of advice is to use the codex and the support forums over there.

i dig the map feature, too! oh, and my email is my blog name at gmail dot com.

11/10/2005 10:10 AM  
Blogger CynCyn said...

the price of popularity, my dear BookishWendy!! I think blogger wants everyone to use blogspot, so if anyone else leaves a comment, you get an "anonymous-comment" thingy. Very annoying! Except I don't have 5 different Ann's commenting on mine. :o)

11/10/2005 12:31 PM  
Blogger Micky said...

Hey thanks for the map. I am making one too. It is such a great idea.
Most of those are problems for me too. But I just figured that's what you get for free. Hope you find the answers.
:)

11/10/2005 4:02 PM  
Blogger Dana S. Whitney said...

Please come back to my site and add your mug to MY map.... The link off to the side works....:-)

11/20/2005 6:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home