Friday, December 02, 2005

Continuing on with the discussion of how I never finish anything why don’t we discuss these mittens.



"Why they are finished!" You say.

They were a Christmas gift for Juli's husband LAST YEAR. At that point in time we had one mitten that was not sewn up. Juli and Chad came to Boston in early June (where the picture below was taken.) Juli received both of her finished mittens (that were a Christmas gift) and I gave Chad the one mitten and told him the other would come soon.



We have a loose definition of soon over here. It is kind of like "or so" time. Like, I'll see you at 4 o'clock "or so". The "or so" gives you at least a 30 minute window on either end. Which is very important when you are married to a SOUTHERNER and is apparently very important when you can't finish anything. Come to think of it, I used to be a Finisher. I would finish the pants off any body any day. Now, not so much, the only thing that changed?

The start of a relationship with a Southerner who is very slow and not always direct about getting things done.

Hmmm, coincidence?

For those of you interested in the knitting:

The pattern is Kate Gilbert's. The link to Kate's site and the yarn info is on my sidebar. The stripe pattern corresponds to Chad's birthday. Eleven strips of one color for the month, one strip for the day...etc. This is a fun way to personalize a knit, get a little variety in your strips, and (best of all) still have some logic involved.



12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's not when you finish that matters, it's that you cared enough to start in the first place.

Or so I say ;)

They look great - I've always loved your striping methodology. Order in chaos and all.

Have a great weekend!

12/02/2005 4:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

TOMORROW! TOMORROW! I love ya, TOMORROW! You're only a DAY AWAY!!!!!!

12/02/2005 4:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh Wendy, I love it! And the striping method is such a cool idea. I'm glad you shared that!

12/02/2005 4:50 PM  
Blogger Dana S. Whitney said...

Count me in as grateful for the striping plans, too! I have SO MANY WIP's that I don't know what to consider finishing first...

12/02/2005 9:39 PM  
Blogger Lorette said...

I love the striping sequence! Your friend's a lucky guy. And I'm glad that both of his hands will be warm this winter.

12/03/2005 1:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay - please to discuss, "variety in your strips". I *think* you meant to type stripes, but "strips" is much, much funnier.

Oh - I'm punchy this morning. ;)

I had a great time with you yesterday, doll!

12/04/2005 9:00 AM  
Blogger Nik said...

I'm a chronic un-finisher myself.

12/05/2005 11:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ahem. *I* am a southerner and *I* am always early!!

:)

12/05/2005 12:50 PM  
Blogger Dani said...

Congrats on the finished mittnes... I Think they look perfect :)

12/06/2005 9:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love the mittens! Great colors and the striping theory is too cool. So, are those Janet Evanovich books good? What about the Ladies Detective agency? I see them and wonder --

12/07/2005 9:06 AM  
Blogger Dana S. Whitney said...

Yo! You frozen or WHAT? I been hopin for a new cheery post... bookish or knittish. Hmmmph. Hope you are warm and thawed.

12/09/2005 6:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yeah they are finished...i keep wearing mine and chad has been jealous...now we can be twins :)

12/10/2005 4:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home