Friday, January 14, 2005

Back in the Saddle

Whew. Note to self: do not EVER quit your job. It's no fun for anyone. However, I must say that I made up a new sound yesterday after hopping off my last commuter rail trip to the southern tier of Boston.

"I don't have to work there anyyyyymoooooreeee"

Repeat, say, 1,000 times and you get the feeling that's pulsing through my blood right now.

A quiz:



Which one of these things doesn't look like the other?

The pattern is Kate Gilbert's Gifted pattern.
It's lovely to knit. My boyfriend Caleb picked the colors and I miraculously turned the yarn into a single mitten before his eyes. I made a few modifications and/or forgot to do some things in the pattern. In spite of that it all looked pretty good. The one exception was the thumb. The thumb was super long. This kid could have picked up a ride from the Polar Express with that thumb sticking out. Sorry, no picture...use your imagination!

What is a knitter pressed for time to do? Cut the thumb. Green Eyed Girl recently did this with a silly looking sock. It was one of the coolest things I've ever done. Totally liberating. I highly recommend it.

I left sweet boyfriend Caleb's side and went off to finish the second mitten. I got the thumb right this time. But I forgot what kind of modifications were made. Alas...two mittens made for someone who is very confused...

Seeing as he's two and likely to loose them in the first millisecond of wearing them - they're getting sent off to him mama tomorrow.

I leave you with this:



Our cat futureman...who has no shame.

5 Comments:

Blogger Heidi said...

That is one furry beer gut!

1/14/2005 6:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats about quitting your job - always a good day in my book - especially if you wanted to quit and have a new job waiting. Or even not. Sometimes quitting is the right thing to do!

1/14/2005 7:09 PM  
Blogger Dani In NC said...

I knit the Gifted mittens and my thumbs turned out long, too. It was fun pattern to knit, though, and I will be knitting it again shortly. It was my first time using bulky yarn and I think I have a crush :-).

1/14/2005 9:36 PM  
Blogger Jay said...

I think it's way liberating to quit a job you hate.
Now that is a load off. You'll feel all warm and fuzzy, you won't even need the mitts!

J

p.s.
Please tell Elisa I say hi, since her site won't let me leave comments.

1/15/2005 5:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Terry, of Knitting the Blues cut right in the middle of an intricate panel last fall (I haven't forgotten it) and fixed a cable that twisted the wrong way. It takes guts, but it is (I say) tha hallmark of a kick ass knitter!

1/17/2005 11:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home