Sunday, June 11, 2006

Smarty McSmart Pants


I hosted a Duct Tape Dummy making party for some of our local gals this weekend. So. Much. Fun. The food, the company, the sangria! All of it melded into perfect time for me, I can only hope my guests had as much fun.


Claudia was my wrapper, thank you darling! To create the dummy (or smarty in my case because, let's face it, a duct tape dress form filled with poly-fill is probably sharmter than me sometimes) you dress yourself in a plain white t-shirt and get wrapped up in duct tape.

Good times.

Here are a few photos of the process:


Cross your heart baby.


As you can see Claudia became quite intimate with by boobs. And my chubs. - Yes I am making a funny face here.




Here I am all wrapped up. I have Ben to my right and Martha to my left. I cut them out until I get permission to post them all wrapped up.


It's looks uncomfortable. Strangely it was actually somewhat comfortable. Your spine is aligned, you have to stand up straight and all your chubbies have been put away. I wouldn't want to hang out like this for too long. But it certainly wasn't as horrible as I anticipated it being.



Just in case there was any confusion Maryse labelled my Boobies and Chubs. I love that she put a heart next to my chubs. I lub them.




After getting cut out of the dummy you have to tape it back together and stuff it with poly-fil. You also have to measure to make sure your measurement's are realistic. I found that the smarty's chest was a bit too small. Time for a boob job.




I found, at this point, that it was easier to use one of my bras to help me get the right size and shape. It made my job quite a bit easier.

Some things I learned:

My belly button is off center - by about an inch!

The back half of my waist is about 4" shorter than the front part of my waist.

Woman have incredibly beautiful bodies. We are all different but truly amazing. I was the wrapper for Julia and Chreryl - both different body builds and equally as stunning.

I adore my knitting community. Absolutely and totally adore them.

Stitchy's book - amazing. Truly.

Thank you to all the girls that could make it over. You've warmed my home and my house.

Johanna makes a mean cupcake. (and she has news! big news!)

Mwah!

(I think I hit you all - but if I forgot someone please tell me!)


And to smarty - my new bestest friend...




It's strange to feel your self up.

25 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Look like you guys had fun! I, unfortunately, had a wrapless weekend. (Boo hoo hoo!)

6/11/2006 8:15 PM  
Blogger Carole Knits said...

Judging from the photos, you guys had way too much fun! Wish I could have been there.

6/11/2006 8:44 PM  
Blogger wenders said...

Hoooola. This ROCKS. I am so going to do this ASAP. Looks like so much fun! Is there a reason for the red duct tape, or was that because it's more fun than silver? Cheers!

6/11/2006 9:47 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

Wow, no one throws a party like you do!

6/11/2006 9:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jin was so bummed that I didn't have one made at your place, so get this - he insisted I let hom do one when I got home! Yep, he lovingly encased me in red duct tape. I told him to make sure he didn't squish everything and to just follow the curves. Oh man, I wish he hadn't listened to me because Tapey, my new friend, looks like she's knocked up! But the good news is that my bellybuttoned is aligned.

Oh, and the even better news is that with the back still cut, it fits on Jon! Now he can walk around wearing it and fondling his own chest for a change. Shhhh, don't tell him I told you that. ;)

I had a great time at your place, as always. You're the hostess with the mostest, that's fer sure.

6/11/2006 10:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jeeez, could there BE more typos in my previous comment? Sorry about that.

6/11/2006 10:27 PM  
Blogger shizzknits said...

That is the coolest idea! Love it!

6/12/2006 12:19 AM  
Blogger maryse said...

as always it was the bestest of times. i was sad to leave.

6/12/2006 5:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So.incredibly.sad.I.missed.that.

We totally could have duct-taped my babies. That would have been funny.

6/12/2006 5:34 AM  
Blogger Dana S. Whitney said...

The step by step photos are amazing (as are you, of course). What a concept! Scary. Is it a conspiracy by the people at Duct-Tapes R Us to sell more duct dape? I see a dressmaker's dummy in my future... and a documentary of my two year weightloss plan....

6/12/2006 7:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Holy good times, Batman!

Looks like an excellent event, as always, dude, and I'm sad that I missed it.

But I did get to play with sheep, so that helps with the sadness. ;)

xo

6/12/2006 7:28 AM  
Blogger Hannah said...

What a great idea!

6/12/2006 7:35 AM  
Blogger Cheryl said...

I can't believe you put pants on it!! HAHAHAHAHA! You are killing me over here. Too funny.
I think I'll stuff mine tonight.

Thank you so much, again. I had a wonderful time.

6/12/2006 9:43 AM  
Blogger Martha said...

Thank you for being such an awesome hostess! It was a great afternoon of fibery togetherness. Now I just have to buy some polyfill... oh, p.s. you may post me if you wish.

6/12/2006 10:01 AM  
Blogger claudia said...

I SQUOOSHED YOUR BOOBIES!

Oops. Sorry 'bout that. Too much enthusiam, perhaps.

;-)

What a great time. Thanks so much!

6/12/2006 11:07 AM  
Blogger benedetta said...

that truly was a great party!
Thank you!

you can certainly post me and my double, now that i am out of it, Double is all deflated and looking sad!

i think it'd like to be longer, so it can wear pants too. we'll have to fix that.
so much fun!

6/12/2006 12:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh mi god. One that is cool FUN party. Two you are adorable those photos are too much. And Three... now I cant get that "I Touch Myself" song out fo my head.
I TOTALLY blame you!!! :)

6/12/2006 12:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, my sister's a boob squisher from way back...

6/12/2006 12:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wish I could have made it too!! I still don't quite get how the duct tape smahtie retains its shape after cutting out??

6/12/2006 7:01 PM  
Blogger Laurie said...

TOO funny! The pictures are wonderful. I think it's a tossup between X your heart, and the final smartie on display. I'm bummed I wasn't there to make a smartie and eat cupcakes and schmooze with the doubles and their moms.

6/13/2006 6:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So much fun. What a great idea.

6/13/2006 7:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That was a very interesting and enjoyable post. I did that once (or twice) with that plaster gauze stuff. Your method looks a lot cleaner!

6/13/2006 7:59 PM  
Blogger ZantiMissKnit said...

What an awesome party idea! (The most creative my friends and I got were hair dyeing/haircutting parties -- drunken punk rock style! Yikes!). An instructor of mine told me about duct-tape dummies years ago; she learned that one when she was an apprentice to a corset maker. The things you can do with duct tape!

6/14/2006 1:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It may be strange to feel yourself up, but doing it standing on the tub ledge while someone photographs... :)

6/22/2006 10:01 AM  
Blogger Hooney said...

Thank you for your great idea. Now instead of saving money for a Dressform, I can spend the money on yarn!

9/05/2006 10:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home