Thursday, May 18, 2006

I'd like to make a deposit please


"People dressed in a certain kind of clothing are never wrong. Also they never fart. What Mary Whitney used to say was, If there's farting in a room where they are, you may be sure you done it yourself. And even if you never did, you better not say so or it's all Damn your insolence, and a boot in the backside and out on the street with you."

- Margaret Atwood
Alias Grace, 1996


I read this as I was drying my hair this morning. It struck me as a genius series of thoughts and words. Truly captures some of my thinking lately. I digested a few more paragraphs and headed off to work.

There I was greeted by A DAY. We all have had them. No event in particular. Just a series of incidences that make you want to THROW OPEN YOUR WINDOW AND TEST THE AIR CURRENT'S STRENGTH.

This paragraph ran through my head and framed my thoughts. An interesting day, I was glad to wander home and take a bit of a lie down followed by Chinese take-out (sans MSG thankyouverymuch). There is little that Chinese take-out cannot fix.

Rob and I have been doing quite a bit of thrifting. I will surely find the time to explain in more detail the joy I find in this and the treasures I carry home. I have been working on recycling a particularly large wool sweater that I found. Last night I formed skeins, soaked, washed, rinsed, washed, rinsed, and hung the little bundles out to dry.

I came home tonight to check my little babies.

As a statement on the day this is what I found:



Not sure what you're looking at? Here is a hint:



Robby said that the bird wanted to buy my yarn. When I asked him how he knew that he said,

"He liked it so much he put a deposit on it."

And that, my friends, is the kind of day I had.

19 Comments:

Blogger maryse said...

damn bird

5/18/2006 7:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Holy crap that sucks!

5/18/2006 8:03 PM  
Blogger megret said...

I saw an osprey carrying a fish last night- I thought it was a good omen.

It couldn't have been- there was a huge purple bird dropping on my front steps 20 minutes later, my daughter brought home a note from her teacher (she hit 3!!! other kids) and I dropped the cap to my engine oil down into an unaccessible area in the engine compartment as I was trying to hurry home. THEN the downpour started...

Now it's hailing.

Bird poop stinks.

5/18/2006 8:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That sucks!

It reminds me of the week I've had!

5/18/2006 9:09 PM  
Blogger Carole Knits said...

Oh ick. But I'll bet Rob made you laugh.

5/18/2006 9:19 PM  
Blogger Kate said...

Ick.

But isn't Alias Grace one of the best books ever?

5/18/2006 9:49 PM  
Blogger Tara said...

*sigh* I had a similar day, involving spilt coffee, wearing a stained shirt all day, moving in the rain and well, no bird crap...but still, perhaps the universe (or knitbloggin universe) had one of THOSE DAYS.

5/18/2006 10:19 PM  
Blogger Vicki Knitorious said...

OMG, I had a coffee-stained shirt just like Tara -- only I didn't even KNOW I'd spilled my coffee and had a big spot 'til half-way through the morning.

According to Rob's theory, birds must want to take me home as I've been deposited upon TWICE in my life. I know, double-ick (or more). But I now have a new way of saying it... "deposited upon..."

; )

5/18/2006 10:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well crap!!! how rude!!! do another quick wash and rinse and it will be fine.

5/19/2006 1:01 AM  
Blogger CynCyn said...

euw euw euw. doo doo. better it lands on your yarn than on your head, right?

5/19/2006 1:55 AM  
Blogger cindy said...

You've heard the old joke line when the moo moo bird shits,wear it!!! It's good luck...Iknow...I know....you don't buy it!

5/19/2006 10:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can relate. I think I am having that kind of month!

5/19/2006 12:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

bird poop on your yarn...baby puke in my bra. i'm with ya babe.

5/19/2006 1:31 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

Bummer - hopefully today is going better!

I love thrifting, too - 95% of my clothes (excluding underwear and socks, thankyouverymuch) are from the thrift store...

5/19/2006 2:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

stupid bird!
That is the very reason why I don't like to drive with my sunroof open. (yeah I know, the probability of it happening is low.)
At least yarn washes! :
D

5/20/2006 6:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

At least you weren't wearing it when it happened.... ;) Sorry to hear you had THAT kind of day.

Um, you read while you blowdry your hair?

5/21/2006 7:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bothaya. Damn hilarious. Did it wash out? That is some random karma.

5/21/2006 8:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Back in middle school I got pooped on and some kids said it was good luck. I suspect it's what their parents told them to make them feel better. At any rate, I hope it brought better luck your way. :)

5/22/2006 2:09 PM  
Blogger Zee said...

Oh, no. That would totally crap up my day, too. :(

Hope it's gotten better!

6/01/2006 5:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home