Friday, September 24, 2004

Love Hate Relationship

I hate knitting. Really. I hate it. I'm done. Throwing it down. For real.

Okay, not really. But that's how I feel right now. I went ahead and bound off the rest of the collar on my Shapely Tank. I had picked up the stitches and knit 6 rows in Garter Stitch. As I bound off and held it up to me I saw that the collar flared out from the body. I thought, huh, this isn't going to do. I considered my options. I figured it would most likely flatten out when blocked.

Then I went to Google and found this...
"Pick Up The Correct Number Of Stitches" and this...."Picking Up Stitches For Necklines and Armholes". In fact, there is a boat load of know-how here. El sucko. Apparently I picked up too many stitches. What the heck? How was I to know?

I hate being a beginning knitter. Why can't every skill you learn have all of the disclaimers outlined from the beginning. How did I not know this? Total bummer. So, I'm taking a break from the Shapely Tank. Sorry, no finished pictures.

I am going to pick up the Big Sack Sweater from
Stitch 'n Bitch for Rob. I'm doing this as part of my first online knit-along.


This is a fun knit and I'll post pictures of my progress next week. It hasn't been without its drama. I have definitely learned a lot and have come a long way. I just have a long way to go.
Patience...
I started another book. It had to be a thin paperback. These are easier to take on the train. Michael Chabon is one of my favorite authors. In fact, The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay is one of my favorite books of all time. It's pretty incredible. I picked up The Mysteries of Pittsburgh last night. This is his first novel. The voice is much different than The Drink Before the war. It'll take a bit to switch gears. So far, so good.
Erin, not to worry, your book is my home book now I'm hoping to be done with it next week.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

No worries, Wendy. Take your time with the book. Your feedback is valuable.

I just had a frustrating experience with my knitting project, too. I sympathize. I'm doing the Umbilical Cord Hat for Kurt's brother's new baby, and I've started over TWICE now. The first time, I created a moebius strip (it's on circular needles), and the second time, I got very far and was decreasing the stitches and dropped some. GAH! I started the hat for the third time last time. We'll see how it goes.

~ Erin

9/24/2004 9:08 AM  
Blogger Bookish Wendy said...

Bummer Erin! You can pick up dropped stitches. Remind me to show you how next time I see you. It can be a pain but it's a lot easier than starting over!
-Wendy

9/24/2004 9:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home