Thursday, December 09, 2004

Check it out!





This is Juli*, of
my 100 list #72-74 fame. She learned to knit over Thanksgiving! I can't tell you how cool this is. My friends Emily (the drunk license checker) and Allie (Gus's Mom) have also learned to knit. We also have an expert knitter in the crowd, Ms Marne. This means one thing and one thing only - our Annual Beaver Reunions (see #32-38 on the 100 List) will be knit-tastic!

I haven't been knitting. I'm just about at the end of the Kite Runner (link on the sidebar.) I'm a crazy person at the end of books. It's hard for me to do anything but read. This one left me feeling blech in the beginning. It's turning out to be a fabulous story. Has anyone read it yet?

So, I need some advice here. I'm just about done with my time as a bookseller at my local independent bookstore. I love working there but the time commitment is driving me bonkers. I'd like to take advantage of the last days of my discount and get a bunch of knitting books. Recognizing that I'm po' and must get the most bang for my buck are there any essentials out there I should invest in?


*Juli just moved to Colorado, the Boulder/Denver area. Are there any friendly knitters out that way? She's really cool, I swear.

3 Comments:

Blogger beardedriffraff said...

Boy was The New York Trilogy good. I read it 10 years ago and still think about it sometimes.

12/10/2004 10:25 AM  
Blogger Heidi said...

There is a Reader's Digest knitting and crochet stitch library that I find really useful...and the big Vogue knitting book is good too. Sorry I am not providing titles.

I would also recommend the new Scarf Style book from Interweave. I have seen it and I really want it too!

Have fun book shopping!

12/10/2004 11:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Me me me! I live in the Denver metro area and would love to meet up with her, or have her join us at one of our meetings. There is a Mile High ring (the button is towards the bottom of my page) that she can surf- I personally know 3 of the others on the ring.

As far as the books go, I would have to echo Vogue Knitting (for sure), Last Minute Knitted Gifts, Weekend Knitting, and I would say anything by Erika Knight. She's one of my very favorite designers and I love how she uses non-traditional materials. My fave of hers is Simple Knits with a Twist, but her kiddy patterns are good, as is her crochet book (even though I'm a terrible hooker). I also like Maggie Righetti's books. Are you going to try to get Jonathan Norrel & Dr. Strange? That is so not the title, but I'm hoping you know what I'm talking about. The Susannah Clarke book.

I love year end lists too (sorry this comment is going on forever)- I was trying to think of my favorites that I've read this year. I don't think I've read hardly anything that was actually published this year, though.

Cathi
In The Pink

12/10/2004 5:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home