Monday, January 31, 2005

No Sleep to Brooklyn

My dear husband and I traveled the length of Ohio during our Christmas Vacation.

It was, like, our job.

We left Boston on a Friday. Drove to Rochester and stayed until a Monday and drove to Kentucky and stayed until a Thursday and drove to Cleveland and stayed until a Friday and drove to Rochester and stayed until a Saturday and drove to Boston and collapsed in a fit of insanity. All told we spent approximately 40 hours in the car.

1 week off + 40 hours in the car = in was our job.

Fortunately my dear husband agreed to drive during most daylight hours. This left me with a bit of yarn and some needles. My new
Denise Interchangeables to be specific. Here we begin the parade of objects that came out of that trip. You've seen some projects already. My dad's Christmas scarf being one, and my boyfriend's mittens being another.

These...these are awesome.





We have here Kate Gilbert's
Gifted Mitten Pattern. Ahhh, I screwed up these as well. Somehow I was able to screw up the same exact way during the production of the second mitten. Voila...they look the same. Miracles never cease.

These are for a person yet to be named. I know where they're going. They were made just for a single soul. I really wanted the stripes in the mittens to be uneven and seemingly random. I am far to anal for such insanity.
Teen Knitting Club book inspired me with a pattern they have for a hat. (By the way, this is a pretty great book. Very well done.)

The number of rows in each color corresponds to the recipients birthday. I'll let you know where these are going when they get there. In the meantime, to use a random example say you wanted to knit a pair of these for, let's see, ME! you would find out MY! birth day and year. March 3, 1976.

The most glorious day of the year. 3-3-76.

For a three color mitten - Color one would be three rows. Color two would be three rows. Color three would be seven rows. Color one would be six rows. Color two would be three rows....get it? If you really want to go crazy you could include the full year 1976. 1 - 9 - 7 - 6. What would you end up with? A very special pair of mittens for a very special person - ME!


No sleep till - Brooklyn !
Foot on the pedal
never ever false metal

Engine running hotter than a boiling kettle

My iob ain't a job
it's a damn good time

City to city I'm running my rhymes.
On location
touring around the nation




3 Comments:

Blogger maryse said...

your idea on the very special mittens is brilliant -- you could make a scarf like that too. (see, i'm not so brilliant duh).

http://morici.typepad.com/bag_n_trash

2/01/2005 6:42 AM  
Blogger Cursing Mama said...

I've been thinking of trying the gifted mitten pattern, but I could never screw up equally- that takes true talent. Love the striping on the thumbs.

2/01/2005 11:16 AM  
Blogger Stitchy McYarnpants said...

Those mittens rock! I have to stop myself from knitting everything in green and purple. I love those colors together. And the thumbs are really cute. I really like the idea of special stripes.

2/01/2005 11:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home