Sunday, April 16, 2006

News Flash!


News Flash - The Bookish Girl Knits. A lot.


I have truly neglected the knitting content on this here blog. In many cases projects have been started, finished and gifted without even a brief peek at the world wide web. This week I will present a finished object per day. I think I have that many. I will document each and every one until I run out out of them.



Today - the Shit-com Chic. Remember this post? I started this sweater in July 2005, put it down, picked it up, put it down, picked it up and finished it in December 2005. This sweater was knit as a gift for Juli, my best friend.


Well, I did finally finish this sucker and gifted it to Juli in her Christmas package (sent sometime in February, I'm a horrible post-office doobie.) She loves it! I think that it is a bit big. But, frankly, I'm pretty proud of the finished project. And even more proud that she wears something that I made for her!

Here is a close up of the button.


Purchased at the New York Sheep and Wool festival last fall. I knew I needed a button and this handmade glass one caught my eye. Unfortunately, having finished the project, I did not have it with me. So I eyeballed the color. I think I did a pretty great job!



The pattern is here, I knit exactly to the pattern with two exceptions. Up the sides and down the arms I used paired increases, M1L, M1R instead of the M1L alone. I also increased the length of the sleeves to full length. I would modify the design of the sleeves a bit the next time I do this pattern. If you cast on the called for stitches for the sleeve and plan to knit it full length you will have a very wide wrist and forearm. The sweater's 3/4 sleeve design starts the sleeve at the widest part of your arm. Whereas, with full length sleeves you typically increase from the wrist - the smallest part of the arm to the forearm/elbow area. Therefore, a full length sleeve should cast on few stitches and increase to the pattern's starting arm width. This is a great pattern, the sweater is cute and functional. I will definitely knit it again!
Oh, the yarn? It is Cotton-Ease (now discontinued) in Sugar Plum.

Here are some pictures Juli sent me shortly after she received the sweater...



Isn't she the cutest?!!

19 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is a beautiful sweater. I wish I had the patience for all the st it takes to make a sweater. And the swatching. I'm getting better at the swatching, which is good because it just saved me from heartbreak in designing my own scarf.

4/16/2006 8:15 PM  
Blogger wenders said...

Beautiful! I love the detail of the glass button, too.

This also makes me feel better about my lack of completion on the Somewhat Cowl. Started at Christmas, all it needs is two sleeves and a cowl. You know, the important parts. :)

4/16/2006 8:36 PM  
Blogger Lauren said...

Yay for knitting! :) I may have to make a matching Sugarplum Sitcom Chic. You were so sweet to knit it as a present.

4/16/2006 8:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It looks great -- love it! And the button is just perfect. What a nice present. I, too, am mourning the loss of Cotton-Ease :-(

4/16/2006 8:50 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

It looks great! Love that button, too.

4/16/2006 9:07 PM  
Blogger goodkarma said...

Oh, it turned out so well! And Juli is super cute. I love the button you used. I have a bunch of Cotton Ease (saved for a rainy day??) and might have to take another look at that pattern.

4/16/2006 9:37 PM  
Blogger maryse said...

that came out really cute. i had mixed results when i made my shitcom chic. i ended up frogging it.

4/17/2006 6:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Like it a lot! Great lines, and lovely gift. The button works beautifully. I always did wonder about one button cardigans...do they exist? The picture is worth the 1000 words.

4/17/2006 6:39 AM  
Blogger WandaWoman said...

Beautiful! I really do like the button and think it was a great choice! So glad you finished it and that Juli loved it!

4/17/2006 7:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Excellent! And yes, Juli is cute. But not nearly as cute as you! LOVE LOVE LOVE!

4/17/2006 7:28 AM  
Blogger Carole Knits said...

Great sweater, Wendy. I wonder how you gave it away! And the button is perfect!

4/17/2006 8:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love that sweater! It's beautiful. The button is just fabulous, too.

4/17/2006 8:50 AM  
Blogger Vicki said...

It looks great! Not sure I've seen that color of CE before, but it sure is pretty. Lucky friend you've got there :)

4/17/2006 9:19 AM  
Blogger Vicki Knitorious said...

It looks great, Wendy! And look at Juli -- she looks so happy!! What a very nice gift. ; )

4/17/2006 9:58 AM  
Blogger Julie said...

Gorgeous sweater and a fab button too- I love the colors!

4/17/2006 10:15 AM  
Blogger Katherine said...

Great work! The button looks wonderful against the lilac color. Hooray for FOs!

4/17/2006 11:35 AM  
Blogger Earin Marybird said...

Having a chance to see the sweater on two different body types is so helpful Wendy. It's gorgeous. Reading your earlier post from 2005 (and all the farts - who hasn't been there?) makes me feel better about a few things stuffed in my knitting cupboard. It *is* possible to come back to something, fix the problem(s) and finish! Yes!

4/17/2006 1:18 PM  
Blogger Cathi said...

Don't you love when I comment bomb? I thought for sure I commented on this, but I guess not. Anyway, I love the button and I was thinking about the whole Wendy/Juli and Cathi/Julie thing...the MA/CO connection, the I connection, the knitting thing...I don't know, it just seems noteworthy, at least, but maybe I am making a bigger deal than it should be.

xoxoxo to you both

4/20/2006 3:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love the sweater!

4/22/2006 11:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home