Wednesday, September 21, 2005

Joy and Pain

Apparently earnest blogs on Wednesdays. After two really really long work days. Days that end before they start - because you're at your desk all day. Alas, I have been fortified with Shredded Wheat and a glass of two buck chuck. I am ready to blog.



Let's discuss frustration. And sadness. I started a sweater for BF Juli during our trip to Colorado. I proclaimed victory over the process and knit throughout the week. Chanting in my head: I would finish, I would succeed, despite my best efforts to prevent myself from doing so (which, by the way, is a really long mantra, I personally would advise against using such a long one.) I had decided on Sitcom Chic in Cotton Ease sugar plum yarn. I swatched on the plane ride there. My brain farted because of the altitude. Or maybe it was the lack of food. We forgot cash. I swear the airlines change the rules all the time. First they won't take cash, then they won't take cards. I could have sold my body for a drink. The brain fart led to temporary insanity where I forgot that I knit tightly. Or maybe I remembered, I just forgot which way my needles size should go - up or down. My swatches lied (crazy bastards.) And I decided to knit on. You've all read the blog enough to know where this story is going.

I was able to make the size I need (albeit by accident.) However, the farts kept coming. The sweater was asked to leave the house. I was banished to my bedroom with a trashy mystery novel. I had to reknit the eyelet row FOUR TIMES. I had to count stitches over and over. Yes, that's right I HAD to. Frustration had driven me to crazy land. There was an error. I might have been okay with the error. But to be okay with it I had to first figure out where it was. I knew I was off, in more than one place. Too many stitches here, not enough there. But without my finger on the point of origin I couldn't be okay with it. I finally found it. Waaaayyy down there, yes, below the join of the arms, seven inches of knitting down. I decided that I had spent 3-hours finding the error I should at least do myself the favor of fixing it. Big mistake. Never do yourself any favors that involve reknitting something - THREE TIMES!!!!

It's enough to make a woman give up knitting. Or at least leave the perfectionism to better more sane people. Or at least shove the stupid ass sweater to the bottom of the bin. Juli is used to getting presents late. Hell, I still owe her husband one mitten (I think I even sent him home with the single little fellow.) Frustration and sadness. I need a good knitter to come live at my house.



10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've got two words for you: short rows. It's my white whale, my Kurtz. I'm so sorry. I may have to rip yet another sweater too. Blasted gauge. I say we all knit lace. ;-) (Try it, you'll like it, hey Mikey!)

9/21/2005 10:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A good knitter already lives at your house...she just has taken a mini-vacation. Crazy ass work will do that to a girl.

xo

9/22/2005 7:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yup. I'm with Elisa. :)

The sweater is super cute, even moreso for all the love and time you put into it... (some might call that sweat and tears, but let's stick with the sunshine and smiles this morning :)

Jackie

9/22/2005 7:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do we need to look into some Brain Beano for you?

:P

9/22/2005 8:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I feel your pain. Feel it deeply.

But then it took me 5 tries to cast something on last nght - Maybe six. And 3 hours to knit 4 rows.

And I'm pretty sure they're wrong.

You're a knitter and you will prevail.

9/22/2005 8:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Knit, breathe. It's all part of the process...you can do it.

9/22/2005 11:25 AM  
Blogger sarah said...

ew bummer. I feel your pain. My pain comes under the name of Orangina.

9/22/2005 1:15 PM  
Blogger Cathi said...

I think it looks amazing, and good for you for soldiering on. Do I dare ask about the NBAT? I simply can't wait to see it.

9/22/2005 1:54 PM  
Blogger Dana S. Whitney said...

Attagirl. I think rather than labeling ourselves compulsive, OCD or perfectionistic we should just claim PERSISTENT. I started my Arrowhead Lace pattern blanket at least 10 times... got help at LYS and have only had to tink 2 rows since. Progress!

9/23/2005 2:04 AM  
Blogger Lorette said...

I always wondered what kind of wine went with shredded wheat.

9/25/2005 7:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home