Thursday, August 18, 2005

A Spicy Yarn

My taste in art is a bit strange, influenced by many different factors. I happen to really like pin-up pictures from the 30s, 40s, 50s and 60s. I think some of it has to do with nostalgia for times spent with a close friend (that I've known since we were 10) who is now a tattoo artist. He loved to draw pin-ups and always had lots of books to look at. One famous pin-up artist is Gil Elvgren. He created hundreds of drawings, many of them of the same pose with different cloths (or lack thereof) and/or backgrounds. The woman were hippy and busty and perky and butty. No waifs in his drawings. He used live models and made them pose in these awkward positions. Very interesting process. The drawings were used, for the most part, in advertising. During the 50s he worked for a firm that paid him $1,000 a drawing. Not a bad living. Melanoma's pin-up on her header is a modification of one of his drawings. Melanie picked out the picture (her husband is a tattoo artist, are you sensing a theme here?) and Robby put some flames in for her.




I'm in the process of knitting up Grumperina's Tivoli T in Brown Sheep Cotton Fleece. My husband calls this the TTTT (Trailer Trash Tank Top.) I'm not sure what brought this about but it makes me giggle.

I tried it on the other night to make sure the boobage would fit properly. I was contemplating short rows a la Shapely Tank but thought better of them after trying it on. I think the way the pattern is written eliminates the need. 'Sides that, two of the model's bust sizes are just about at mine. I love me some big busted models. Makes me feel all at home and crap.

I downloaded the picture of me in my TTTT and it sparked a memory of a Gil Elvgren pin up that I saw a few weeks ago (in said friend's tattoo shop)and was hoping to use in a new (gasp) blog design.




What do you think? Am I the next pin-up model or what?!






25 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That TTTT is lookin' like it should - busty! ;)

8/18/2005 7:06 PM  
Blogger Dani said...

Love your pose... can't wait to see your Tivoli!

8/18/2005 7:43 PM  
Blogger benedetta said...

definetely!
maybe i shoud try a Tivoli too...

8/18/2005 8:58 PM  
Blogger Dana S. Whitney said...

All you are lacking is red hair, my dear!! When the bustiness (even after lumpectomy) is massive (think nipples intersect with waist almost)... the TTTT tank is not appropriate. I shall stick with something more substantial. I may have an attachment to Wenders... but YOU LIVE CLOSER!!!

8/18/2005 10:09 PM  
Blogger claudia said...

Yeah baby!

8/18/2005 10:30 PM  
Blogger WandaWoman said...

That's it, you are the pinup girl!! Whoo-hoo!

8/18/2005 11:18 PM  
Blogger CynCyn said...

I think we need a side/profile shot too, so we can see the underside of the ta-tas. :) just kidding. Tivoli is looking wonderful!!!

8/19/2005 1:08 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Love Gil Elvgren. I use that pin up on my live journal's header, and it's on my computer desktop, as well.

Very cute Tivoli in progress- Elvgren would be proud :)

8/19/2005 1:15 AM  
Blogger Maggie said...

You are way too cute in that TTTT! I've been looking at this one http://two_pointy_sticks.blogspot.com but I think I might have way too much boobage for it :( It looks cool though.

8/19/2005 2:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love that pin up as well, she was one of the ones I had thought of for my header too...yummy.

mmmmmmmm boobage.

8/19/2005 6:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hee hee - love the pose and the pin up! Now, where are the sharpies??

8/19/2005 7:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oops - the anonymous sharpies one was me.

Jackie

8/19/2005 7:55 AM  
Blogger sarah said...

I love that pinup! I've seen it on another blog somewhere...but can't for the life of me seem to remember where it went. My husband has a book of that guy's pin-ups. It's really cool and has vellum flip up pages to show all the different versions of some of his stuff.

8/19/2005 8:57 AM  
Blogger Stitchy McYarnpants said...

Bind that sweater off now, it's perfect just the way it is!

I, too, love pinup girls. And it's nice to see that they use circular needles - just like me! Now all I need are bigger boobs and legs up to my chin and I'm on my way.

8/19/2005 9:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You can be the BOOB-ISH girl instead of the Bookish girl! DO IT!

Dude - my boobs are SO bigger than yours!

8/19/2005 9:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That makes me think of the song "Oh yeah" !

8/19/2005 9:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Woo-hoo! Go you, you hot thing!

I'm a big fan of the pin-up girls myself. I may not have the bust of a pin-up girls, but I've got the hips and thighs, ah yeah! ;)

8/19/2005 10:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, grrl...you do look like a star.

8/19/2005 10:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ha! I think you should pose like the pin-up and use your picture. I also had been looking around for a new design for the old blog and found something similar through a clip-art company. Just couldn't decide if I wanted to make the change. Come on, we'll do it together!

8/19/2005 1:50 PM  
Blogger Cursing Mama said...

I still haven't started my Tivoli, but its in the basket ready to go...
I've seen that pin-up girl in a blog before (wwwdotidontthinkdotcom - its the spicy yarn skin), I just love her so with the yarn & all...you struck the pose masterfully

8/19/2005 2:45 PM  
Blogger Micky said...

Absolutely! I almost thought you posted two of the same pic.
I love that drawing. Love tats. And love knitting. It's all good.
:)

8/19/2005 5:49 PM  
Blogger Steph said...

I just started reading your blog recently. Hee hee - nice intro into your world. I've got the Tivoli on my list as well. But I'm not planning any pin-up girl poses.

I've seen that pin-up girl on thisgirlknits.com.

8/20/2005 7:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Absolutely. This is what blogs are for. you rawk.

julia fc

8/22/2005 9:51 AM  
Blogger Heide said...

Tres sex-ay!! You should wear that to my party. :)

8/22/2005 12:55 PM  
Blogger Cathi said...

Look at you, Mrs. Hottie! Love it!

8/23/2005 2:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home