Wednesday, July 27, 2005

A random act of knitting....

I may have started a bi-regional gang war. In the midst of the dancing (a la West Side story because, really, can you see knitters knifing each other?!) I'd like to point out that I said that I thought the Mile Highers *almost* had the East Coast Sharpies beat. That said...pull out the dance moves.

I'm still trying to catch up here. The bags were unpacked tonight and laundry started. But, all of that is boring - so I'll spare you.

For entertainment, here are three things knitting related that caught my attention today.

Exhibit A - This post by Dooce. I thoroughly enjoy Heather's sense of humor. However, she's stepped over the knitting line. Thinking that knitting and bingo go hand in hand. Harumf. I know she receives buckets of mail that contains not nice things. I will simply send a wicked bad ass dance move her way and forgive her because the poop jokes redeem her.

Exhibit B - This link found via Mighty Goods. Yes, this looks EXACTLY like a sweater I knit earlier this year for baby Neala and Yes it is Lion Brand Boucle AND Yes it is selling for $43?! So strange. I personally wonder about the cost verses the quality of yarn. Then I wonder if that's not enough because, unless it was knit on a machine, it did take some time. Mostly, I wonder how the hell they got the yarn to not pool.

Exhibit C - Deb Macomber who wrote a novel about a yarn shop (? is this right?!), or at least has her novels in more than one yarn store that I've been to. (one is titled, A Good Yarn.) Is the Keynote Speaker at a Romance Novel Convention in Reno (via Bookslut.) This quote from the article cracks my shit up..."Macomber is the keynote speaker at the convention, which features workshops on how to use firefighter lingo, how to pick book-cover art, using swords and sword fights in a story line and how to make your villain a sociopath or psychopath." Teeheheee, I want to know how to use firefighter lingo. This blog would so rock it out with some of that sprinkled in.




11 Comments:

Blogger Kathy said...

Deb Macomber's first 'knitting book' was "The Shop On Blossom Street". I'm actually reading it now. It's not bad. Better than I expected. :)

7/28/2005 12:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I saw "A Good Yarn" at A Good Yarn yesterday. Teehee.

*Insert crazed dance move here*

7/28/2005 7:21 AM  
Blogger wenders said...

Firerfighter lingo AND dance moves? I may have to call it a week. . . pass on the firerfighter lingo, though -- for real!

7/28/2005 7:39 AM  
Blogger maryse said...

yes i read dooce's knitting diss and was a bit dismayed. maybe she's just constipated. and remember, she does live in utah ...so far from the ocean.

and who says that bingo isn't cool? i watched an episode of sex in the city last night on tbs and the girls were playing bingo.

7/28/2005 8:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe you should introduced a psychopathic villian to your blog instead. Like a warring knitter busting out with the wicked awesome dance moves to put us in our places. Who knows, a good sword fight might do the trick as well.

7/28/2005 9:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

East Coast, West Coast. Knitters UNITE! I call for a truce - Ain't Nothing but a Knit Thing, BAAABY.

Oh. And I'm a dumbass. Happy Anniversary to you and Rob! I forgot that yesterday. Duh. I was just so happy to have you home. ;-)

7/28/2005 10:49 AM  
Blogger Dana S. Whitney said...

Glad you are back... I must search more deeply to find Dooce's yarn/bingo entry... I only found Lance, the non-missionary, non Harvard MBA, etc. etc. Shouldn't their be a LAW about lying on billboards? Oh, and I like Macomber's knitting novels, too. There are lots of books with occupational vocab for writers: firefighters, cops, doctors, pathologists... as well as lingo by nationality.

7/28/2005 6:43 PM  
Blogger Dani said...

I was just going to point out that I saw "A Good Yarn" in A Good Yarn last week, but Elisa beat me too it! That is so awesome that we do some of the same work :) Your job sounds great.. I would love to work for a non-profit organization someday.

7/29/2005 7:13 AM  
Blogger CynCyn said...

you know, you're not allowed to seduce our Cathi to move over to Boston. We need her queso, witty humor, and knitting genius HERE in Denver. Stop courting her!

in all seriousness... we think you should move HERE. I mean, someone's best friend lives HERE, right?

7/29/2005 5:38 PM  
Blogger Micky said...

Along with that new lingo, will there be poles involved?
:)

7/31/2005 6:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Bookish Girl!

It is lion boucle! and it is selling for $43 dollars because I am paying the girl who knits and and for the yarn and for the shipping PLUS I am selling in stores and I have to sell online at the same price THEY are selling so as not to piss them off AND...well, you get the picture. Plus, the button cost 1.43. It is HAND KNIT....and, I don't know what pooling is or I would answer!

Much love, and thanks for the link....I read your blog anyhow!

--judy

8/02/2005 12:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home