Tuesday, July 05, 2005

Number 40 - Come on Down!!!

You girls rock. You all are the picture of support and encouragement. Forced to look past the intial crap crap of the project with your encouragement I have looked to the bright-side.



The other side that is. Not bad for a first-timer, eh? Catholic girls start much too late.

I'll focus on the details of the crap crap later. I tried a few different graphing methods, I had missed the Knitty article. Thank you for the recommendations. I first tried KnitPro, initially seen on el Masono y la Dixona (huge thanks to Kay and Kellee who helped me track down the long forgotten link.) Problem with this - I couldn't get the size I wanted AND there was a lot of gray matter in the way. The gray matter is the hard part. I couldn't quite get my head to figure out if the edges of the letters, shades of gray, should be stitched or not.

From there I went to gauge specific graph paper (a bow to Colleen who keeps this stuff on her website, so I don't have to.) Layering this over a printed out "bookish" on the window (pictured yeterday) proved to be the ticket to ride. Surprisingly this worked out the best. I stitched from this chart, make split second judgements on the fly with yarn in hand. I wronged myself there. Alas, I think I have all the letters worked to my liking. I just have to rip the whole damn think and put a stitch or two between the letters. That and add a bit of size to the whole thang.

What I learned:

1 - Intarsia isn't too hard. It's a pain in the ass. It takes forever. You're bound to strangle yourself in the tangles. But it isn't the hardest thing I've ever done. Like lace. Intarsia I can get a breath in every few minutes. Lace. Well, lace may cause me to smoother myself.
2 - Get bobbins for your yarn (see #1)
3 - Don't spend an entire day on one word. You will begin to see a ghost kissing a fish while convincing yourself that the word really is spelled B-O-O-K-I-S-H.
4 - Next time the husband picks a nickname for me remind him that, in the supreme act of dorkiness, I will most likely end up knitting it on something. This fact should really weigh heavily on the heart of his imagination. Maybe D-O-R-K would have done? It's shorter.

How do you spell relief from a knitting headache?



Jeeves and Will Shortz. (see #4 above)


The Random Number Table has spoken. I closed my eyes, swirled my cursor across the screen and*** number 40 come on down***. The 40th comment on the Boookish post is Ms. Kay. Kay - email me (bookishwendy at that fabulous place known as gmail dot come) your address and I'll send you a package.







6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I NEED that crossword book. I get such satisfaction in finishing a crossword - even if it is an easy one. ;-)

Glad you got it all worked out Boo-Kish. Mwah!

Oh and lace isn't hard. I thought intarsia was hard - lace, with the right easy peasy pattern, isn't hard. You just have to PAY ATTENTION (says the knitter who has ripped her damn lace shawl after pretty much every row.) Just kidding, NOT. No, really, now that it's almost over I don't make mistakes. DUH!

(I've officially gone over the deep end. Three kids under five for five days 24/7 can do that.)

Okay. I'll shut up now.
Love you, my little ghost smoocher.

7/05/2005 9:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmm...maybe I should be glad that Mike's nicknames for me could maybe get me dirty stares from old ladies. It'll keep me from feeling the need to learn intarsia. ;)

BTW - I really hope you didn't ride your bike in this morning.

7/06/2005 7:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey! I won! I am the BEST at random number generated prize-winning! I rawk!

(Actually it always scares me to think of winning anything 'random', because bad things happen randomly also. This is why I don't play the lottery. Honestly. I think, I'll win the lottery, and then lightning will strike me or a piece of brick will fall off a tall building and land on a random person and it will be me. But despite all this I want to get my prize so I can enjoy it before the brick/bus/lightning strike.) Thanks! xox Kay

7/06/2005 8:37 AM  
Blogger Dani said...

I can't wait to see the front! Glad you made it!

7/06/2005 8:51 AM  
Blogger Dana S. Whitney said...

Couldn't find your regular e-mail... so here I am... Thanks for the Dana-Farber link. (I'd just heard about the Scooper Bowl festivities... way cool.) I'll keep reading.... People (like you) are just being SO helpful and supportive. Thanks.

7/06/2005 10:26 AM  
Blogger sarah said...

Awesome Bookish girl :) Don't you feel better now that you're a champion!

7/06/2005 1:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home