Tuesday, July 05, 2005

It's alive...

All I can stay is that you all are whore's for a Star. I haven't gotten the official count in but it looks as though C was the wiener. The font name is "Eight-track". H and F - whose font names I'll have to add later - were not far behind the count.



I've started graphing and swatching (read: spending a whole day teaching myself intarsia, only to knit the entire word into the actual t-shirt in order to come to the realization that there is plenty of "room for improvement".) I hate room for improvement. It harkens memories of classrooms with brightly colored walls and snot-filled kids with a teacher who is just an inch this side of sanity, enough to know that, "Better luck next time" isn't an appropriate response to a shitty job.

I think I have the style of the font translated into the stitches. The first problem is size, they need to be a bit bigger. The second problem is spacing - they are way too close together. I thought about embroidering a border around each letter. I even tried it. Better luck next time.


I can't say I'm loving the process. I did at first. I thought about putting up a little tutorial. It just takes so damn long. It's difficult for me to breath right while stitching the letters. I forget to take a breath. It's really not good for the mental health. I'll have to go into training before I start again. Dive school or something.



Oh, I may have or may not have gone shopping for a certain Bookish Contest.

Weiner announced tomorrow.



10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

No matter how good you get there is *always* room for improvement (sad, but true, I think) and I bet that your first go at intarsia rocks, even if it could be better. :) Go you!

7/05/2005 7:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What program are you using to chart this? You can always put a small space between each letter (change the size of the font to adjust how much space) - that way you'll have more room.

I took a class in intarsia with an expert and I still don't know what the hell I'm doing.

That shit is hard. I'm sure you're doing great. Make sure you have something easy on the needles to go to when you're feeling frustrated.

GO WENDY! GO WENDY!

7/05/2005 7:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If I hear swearing ringing throughout the neighborhood, I'll know the source ;-).

You are going from zero to 100 in about 10 seconds. Don't be so hard on yourself.

Knitty has a good article on charting stuff like this. You might want to have a look.

7/05/2005 7:13 AM  
Blogger Dani said...

Oh Wendy! It looks great! I have been wanting to do something similar on a bag... Knitty has a good tutorial for this :)

7/05/2005 9:50 AM  
Blogger Micky said...

You can do it. Just see it as you want it, and breathe. Breathing is always good. It will look fabulous when you get through. The name was made for you after all.
:)

7/05/2005 9:55 AM  
Blogger Lauren said...

Have you tried using knitpro for the chart?

7/05/2005 10:16 AM  
Blogger benedetta said...

you seem on the right track anyway. first breathe, then consider that that is a pretty difficult thing to intarsia, because the spaces between and inside the letters are small, compared to the letters. it might be worth considering some swiss darning or double knitting for those. have fun with this, see you in august. it will look fantastic!

7/05/2005 11:06 AM  
Blogger sarah said...

Just think how stinking cool you will be when your name is knit on your shirt. PLUS then you will be an itarsia expert. Even if it does take lots of practice. No one's a champ at anything on the very first try.

7/05/2005 3:37 PM  
Blogger Shelley said...

I didn't make it by earlier to say what cool shoes you have. I have some Quark Quarkys, but they don't have the ventilation and are pretty stinkin' hot most of the time, but I love them anyway.
Don't you love Jeeves? I think you would also appreciate Lord Peter, if you haven't gotten acquainted yet.

7/05/2005 7:16 PM  
Blogger Dana S. Whitney said...

Go go go go!
I love it... AND all your teck-ni-kul information is so helpful. I like it as much as those industrial tours on the Food Channel or This Old House!!I scare myself and thus prevent my true spirit from ascending... (Pretty pompous sounding isn't it... and it's true. :-( )

I am going to frog yet another project.

7/05/2005 9:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home