Monday, August 08, 2005

Rome

A few weeks ago I took a day off of work to "regroup". I looked forward to knitting my day away. I ate a bit- o-breakfast, fired up the Tivo and settled down.

My sweetie gave me some yarn and a pattern for Christmas. He had expressed some concern that I never knit anything for myself. The rule was I had to use this yarn and pattern for me. Twist-my-freaking-arm. He rocks. For real. What kind of husband passes the crack over freely? Mine does.

Yarn: Dalegarn Svale
Pattern from NR 132 Nr 11



I swatched it up. I swatched until I was blue in the face. Rob looked at me and said - you never spend this much time with your swatches. Tis true, I am a fickle swatcher. I do it, but at the bare minimum of effort. My gauge was off a bit. I made some math happen and viola...I'm ready to cast on (228 stiches!)

And rip...and cast on again. I crusied through the first row. And ripped. Miscounted.

Didn't have to cast on this time. Just reknit the first row and on to the second row. Knitting straight across 228 stitches flew by. Whew. Watch me go.

And watch me realize that I have cast on the wrong number of stitches. A-G-A-I-N.

For those of you keeping score:

Ripping Bad Guy - 3
Bookish Girl - 0

This is where my day ended:



That blob south of the ball? It will be cut from the lifeline of its source. I know it's conspiring against me. To add insult to injury it insisted on tangling itself up.

Rome wasn't built in a day.

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Me thinks you need a Got Gauge? t-shirt? Or maybe one that says I Can't Count?

Been there done that cutie patootie! So glad you got the day off though - even if you did spend it ripping. That Rob's a keeper, for sure!

8/08/2005 8:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Markers. Use 'em. It sure is gonna be purty when it's done! Rob is a cutie, for sure.

Kerstin

8/08/2005 8:14 AM  
Blogger Micky said...

You can do it. Maybe there is something in your head saying "this is just for me" and it's making you not able to knit it? Tell yourself it is for someone else and it will be done in no time.
:)

8/08/2005 9:29 AM  
Blogger sarah said...

I have those days...this weekend in fact! I don't know how I managed it, but either I can't read or I can't count. I'm feeling your pain, for sure.

8/08/2005 9:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've been eyeing that pattern myself. It will be worth it when you get it right. Doesn't it seem like we knit everything we do at least twice?

8/08/2005 10:04 AM  
Blogger Dani said...

What a beautiful pattern! I love it! Yeah, I did that with my shawl last night... Cast on and knit a few rows, wrong amount of stitches.. After two times, I gave up for the night :)

8/08/2005 10:11 AM  
Blogger CynCyn said...

It's because you were so looking forward to the knitting...if you had cast on on a whim, no problem. Sometimes, I think the yarn conspires against us.

8/08/2005 11:32 AM  
Blogger Vicki said...

Gauge stinks. It always messes with me somehow. I'll get the stitch but not the row, I'll get gauge on a swatch but not on the actual piece. You show that sweater who's boss :)

8/08/2005 11:52 AM  
Blogger Dani In NC said...

I feel ya. I had nine days to knit a last-minute gift and I ended up with nothing, despite trying four different patterns and yarns. Some days, knittin' just ain't easy.

8/08/2005 6:19 PM  
Blogger WandaWoman said...

That sucks! But sometimes it happens. Your hubby is definitely a keeper, what a sweet gesture. Don't worry you will get it and soon progress will be made, slowly but surely.

8/09/2005 2:15 PM  
Blogger Katie said...

What Kerstin said about markers - every ten stitches if you have to. You can take them out on the next row. I think I'm using the same color Svale for my Rosebud - number 4132 I think? I'll be restarting work on that soon so it's ready for fall.

8/10/2005 12:59 PM  
Blogger Dana S. Whitney said...

What a beautiful swatch.... Hand in there... Bookish women always prevail over cast-on problems... even if you have to K2tog!!

8/11/2005 9:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home