Thursday, June 29, 2006

Finding the Humor

Graphic: NYtimes.com, 6/29/06


I habitually check a few major news outlets throughout the day. The NY Times is one of those. Rather than fall prey to the varying emotions that occur as a result of these peeks into our "Present Day World that is Sometimes Heartbreaking" I try to focus on one thing - the absurd.

I just took a break to check out nytimes.com. Just to make sure no buildings had been blown up recently. The graphic above was listed next to a headline for this article regarding the US Sumpreme Courts decision on the military tribunals at Guantanamo.

A little known fact about me? I love graphics, tables, etc. The conveyance of information in graphic form is one of my "things". (Hence, the love of maps.) I admire the intention behind this graphic. Giving a face to the law. Allowing people to take a glance and see, visually, where the votes fell. However, the absurd factor is cranked up to eleven in this one. I'm not sure they could have done it differently to eliminate the absurd factor. I tend to think it's there on purpose.

When I see this graphic all I think is,

"The floating heads of justice."

And the photo's they used?! Kennedy's eyes are closed. Are they closed to justice? Alito looks like he's sitting for a mug shot. Has he committed a crime against justice?....


This one is going to keep me entertained for days.

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ginsberg looks like she just got caught with her hand in the cookie jar. And is Clarence Thomas glancing up her robes?

6/29/2006 1:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A window into their souls - look how ANGRY Scalia looks - like he'd rip the head off a small animal. And Thomas looks like the ass he is. What REALLY bothers me about the pictures is how old and frail Ginsburg looks. And Stevens. Scary stuff.

6/29/2006 3:48 PM  
Blogger --Deb said...

Well, justice is blind, you know. Maybe keeping your eyes closed helps?

6/29/2006 5:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That chart is t-shirt material, don't you think!

6/29/2006 9:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Heee. Breyer looks a little....special, don't you think?

6/30/2006 12:08 AM  
Blogger Laurie said...

I don't think it's a little known fact.

6/30/2006 7:23 AM  
Blogger Heidi said...

It kind of reminds me of a graphic of naked supreme court judges from that "America: The Book" by Jon Stewart. That is funny too!

6/30/2006 8:28 AM  
Blogger Chris said...

Thanks for sharing the absurdity....

7/01/2006 4:18 PM  
Blogger Jscothammerquist said...

I love this post. Those pictures are so... odd.
Souter is looking looka a dour New Englander. And Breyer what the f*** does he think is so funny ?

7/05/2006 4:02 PM  
Blogger Danielle said...

Then you must know who Edward Tufte is, right??

7/06/2006 9:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home