Tuesday, June 14, 2005

A ball and a dream

So last week while in my home town I traveled to a LYS, New York Knits. This is a pretty good shop. Although, I do have to acknowledge how lucky we are in Boston. The city and its metro area are home to some of the finest stores I've been in: great selection, good people, and decent prices. New York Knits was pretty good. Having said that, I found that some of their yarns were well over retail.

I'm in the store wandering around picking up goodies and I'm BORED. What?! What has happened to our Bookish Girl?! Is she so jaded by knitting that she's lost her zest? Nah, I just have a pretty bad case of "short attention span syndrome." This leads me to the sale bin where I find some GGH Bali in Red, it was $2.50 a ball. I see Red. I see Red and think - RED SOX!

While the Boys of Red underwent the Fab Five Treatment (which, by the way, was pretty lame) I was to undergo some Socks of Red treatment. DPNS are already poking me in the ass. Alternative - 2 circs? Nah, too easy. What other way could their be?




Magic Loop! Dude me and my Denises are so there.

Can I just say that knitting socks on size 5's with worsted weightish yarn is way cool. I am fast as lightening. Faster than a southern boy makin' it with his sweetheart.




Eh-hem.

The booklet was relatively cheap, considering my LYS is offering a class for quite a bit more. The method itself is easy - peesey. I'm not one that usually learns well from a book (is that ironic?). This I had no problems with.

Note to self: do not uses Denises for this method in the future.

While I love them, Denises are a pain for the Magic Loop. You should use at least a 32" circ for premium manipulation. With the Denise this requires a join of two cords (what the heck are they called again?!), which is a bit cumbersome when pushing the knitted stitches from end to end.

Otherwise. I'm seeing Red. Sox.

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

NO comment on the Red. But the Sox are looking good. I should try that magic loop thing. Although I'm liking the two circs.

By the way - what happened to the SECOND retro rib? I feel a syndrome coming on....

6/14/2005 10:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmm...magic loop...intriguing!

6/15/2005 6:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, home to you is not close! Look on the bright side, at least they have a yarn store, you could have been completely retail therapy free! Glad that you are doing well with the Magic Loop! You didn't need me after all, though it would have been fun to have had you in my class!

Johanna
Jofrog is Knitfrog

6/15/2005 7:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your Red Sox look great! The magic loop looks interesting -- I want to give it a try. Good to know that you picked it up from the book.

6/15/2005 8:06 AM  
Blogger Katie said...

Yeah, Magic Loop with Denises doesn't work so well, I've found (I also have issues with the size 5s as I knit on the tight side). Get yourself some nice inexpensive Inox fake Addi's or the new Bryspun circulars. You'll be glad you did!

And yes, that Sox Queer Eye was pretty lame. And why did Mirabelli even participate? He was such a wet blanket. Millar was funny though.

6/15/2005 9:21 AM  
Blogger maryse said...

ok. something else i need to try and learn. for which i have no time. again. glad you're home.

6/15/2005 9:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice sock! Sorry about the pink sock and coffee problem. Maybe if you had shown it a better time;-)
Glad you're back!

6/15/2005 10:12 AM  
Blogger Dani said...

I just bought the Magic Loop pamphlet too! That is good to hear that you learned quick from it... that gives me modivation!

Yay Red Socks :) And yes, we are so spoiled here in Boston!

6/15/2005 11:14 AM  
Blogger Cathi said...

I'm going to buy a 40" Addi in preparation for your visit, so that you can teach me the mysteries of the Magic Loop. Just so you know. :)

6/15/2005 1:33 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I'm trying to get used to the Magic Loop method, but the circulars I chose, either my cat got to and chewed on the cord, or there was something really wrong with them, as the cord was like barbed wire. Your Red Sox are coming along quick, and looking good! I thought the Queer Eye episode was lame too...they weren't really made over, as much as spa treatments and a cute outfit. Big hairy (heh, all that waxing...lol) deal.

6/16/2005 9:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home