Wednesday, October 19, 2005

TGKWB


Last night I travelled from my fair city to the 'burbs of Acton, MA. I've loved living in Boston but being out in the open makes me want to breath in the "country" air and leave the city, forever. The trip only takes about 45 minutes. Add in a few harrowing moments on the expressway while I try to stuff my face with Shredded Wheat (dinner) AND talk on the cell phone (catching up) and you've got a seat gripping experience. I'm not so smart sometimes.

I was motivated by the destination. Stephanie, the Yarn Harlot, would be there. Kathy and I had been discussing this event for a few weeks. I almost showed up LAST Tuesday. Wouldn't that have been a blast?! I figured Kathy would be the only one that I knew. Then Debbie piped in that she would be there. Phew, two people that I knew.

Little did I know that The Gaggle of Knitters Who Blog (TGKWB) would be there. I walked in and spotted Kathy right away. Kathy had sent me her Lawyer Picture earlier in the day. She looked very lawyerly in the picture. In real life, well, she looks like a normal person. I lean over the bookcase to tap her on her shoulder and I see Claudia's back...a closer look and Laurie's back is there too....an even closer look and there is Kristen's back....and then I feel movement to my side. Kellee is there. And Kathy introduces me to Carole, and then Claudia introcudes Sandy. And Kellee and I spot Debbie.

And suddenly I am surrounded by friends. Again.

TGKWB may change depending on the day, the location, and the time. But one thing is for sure, no matter who is present in person - There will be laughing.

I mean, the cheese is so cheesy here you might think I'm a mouse or something.


Am I the only one that found the item to the right of Stephanie's head a happy accident? I couldn't stop giggling.


Debbie may try to tell you that we went out for Drinky Drinks. Actually, we went out for Drink. See the sign, "Steaks, Seafood, Sandwiches, and Drink." Singular.

13 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love the photo of Steph with Mad magazine! Great job summing up the night for everyone. And it was really awesome to meet you in person.

10/19/2005 1:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm with Norma - real life BLOWS! I want my bloggers back! :(

Glad you had fun - although that seems impossible without ME! ;-)

10/19/2005 4:00 PM  
Blogger Vicki Knitorious said...

I love the "Mad" photo! Sounds like you all had a blast. I'm just sittin' here, all green with envy, missing the gaggle... and the giggle.

Too funny... in regard to the 'drink/singular' part of your post (yeah, one drink, right), part of the verification word I have to type before this comment will post is "gin"!

10/19/2005 4:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a great picture of Stephanie!!

I agree -- the lawyer picture is kind of serious. Normal in real life. :-) I so enjoyed meeting you -- will have to do that again!

10/19/2005 5:14 PM  
Blogger Dani said...

I had no idea that she was going to be in Acton! Owell, I miseed her again.. Glad you had a grea ttime :)

10/19/2005 6:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think that is drink as in "he has taken to drink" - a single unit of measurment inplying the whole sum of alcohol in the world.

Glad you had a good time. TGKWB is one of the great life changing phemonema - you never have to walk into a strange town alone again unless you want to.

10/20/2005 8:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You do know that I was there too? Just sayin'.

julia fc

10/20/2005 8:51 AM  
Blogger maryse said...

i'm a wuss for not going. acton's only 45 minutes from me too.

10/20/2005 10:04 AM  
Blogger Ruth said...

It was a lot of fun to meet you and the other bloggers ... I wasn't expecting to, so it was a very happy surprise.

Love the picture of Mad Stephanie. I hadn't noticed that, and I was sitting right there!

10/20/2005 11:49 AM  
Blogger Sanders said...

Great picture of the Harlot! Great blog, I love the reading list! I have read about half of the books on your list and some of the others are on my 'to do' list! I lovelovelove Sarah Vowell! Happy knitting!

10/20/2005 9:52 PM  
Blogger Dana S. Whitney said...

Count me in with Juno-- "drinks" are countable. "Drink" is COLLECTIVE... and could be infinite. What a hangover. But it would make frogging better.
I am envious. Acton, countryside, the Harlot AND Rhinebeck. (I picked up the new Vogue Knits this morning... it has a knitting tour in SCANDINAVIA next year. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

10/21/2005 12:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Juno gets it SO right, all the time. It was Smiling Time, and Knitting Time, and Time That Felt Right. Great, too, to finally meet the Knitigator.

10/21/2005 9:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awsome photos. I'm sure even Stephanie would giggle at that picture. Sounds like it was a good time. I'm jealous. :D

10/21/2005 10:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home