Sunday, April 17, 2005

On behalf of Sheep Everywhere

A few years ago there was a TV show on network television: Sabrina the Teenage Witch. It eventually moved to the WB and lost all of its good writers in the process. The term good is relative here. The story line is a bit contrived and the acting half-baked. However, before its station move it always made me laugh and almost never roll my eyes.

I caught an episode the other night on some Nickelodean spin off station targeted towards teens. Let me tell you - did I feel old! All of those commercials, hip new lingo, etc, etc. I have to admit, I was entertained and I told Rob I may have found my new favorite station. Can anyone sense an early life crisis coming on?

For those of you unfamiliar with Sabrina, she is a teenage witch living with her two aunts who are also witches. Apparently there is an Archie comic on which the show is based. I loved Bewitched as a child so perhaps I like Sabrina so much because of nostalgia. On another note of nostalgia, Soleil Moon Frye is now on the show - I love me a little Punky.

There was the funniest episode on the other day, Deliver Us From E-mail. Sabrina's Aunt Hilda becomes obsessed with knitting. At some point she manages to knit herself into a cocoon. The other Aunt, Zelda, finally confronts her...

The script (yes, at some point google may explode from the amount of information it conjures up):

Int. Spellman living room. It looks like a bombs gone off in it. A wool bomb. Everywhere is littered with woolen products, Hats scarves, sweaters, socks, leg warmers, you name it, it’s there and judging by the skit-a-skit of needles, so is Hilda. Zelda enters.

Zelda- Oh good lord! (Calling up stairs) Hilda! Hilda, we need to talk!

Hilda- (Muffled) I’m right here.

She looks down at the large pile of maroon wool on the arm chair and spots a pair of eyes looking out and lower down a pair of hands industriously knitting away.

Zelda- This has gone far enough. I demand that you stop, on behalf of sheep everywhere.

Hilda- What are you getting so worked up about?

Zelda- Your new hobby has become a pathology. You’re addicted to knitting.

Hilda- Zellie, I knit because it relaxes me. I can stop anytime I want to.

Zelda- Look at you! You are knitting alone! You are hiding balls of yarn under yarn cosies! You’ve knitted yourself into a woolen pod! You are a knitaholic! A knitfomaniac! A knit-wit!

Hilda- A knit-wit? That’s cute. I’m going to knit that on a pillow.



A knitfomaniac! Ha! I love it. I'm going to knit THAT on a pillow. Does this episode repeat itself in our homes every day or what?!

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

My favorite is the cat - isn't it the voice of Penn Gillette? Saw him in an airport once making out with some chick. Penn, not the cat. He was kind of gross.

I've eaten an entire container of chocolate covered raisins from Trader Joe. I'm hopped up I tell you, hopped on raisins and chocolate. At this point, short rows is knitting itself.

I miss the old Degrassi. Did you used to watch that? Or am I really old?

4/25/2005 8:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

First off, I'm so with you on Sabrina! I have always loved witches (I cried in the movie theater when the witch/old hag/queen fell off of the cliff in Snow White). I used to buy Archie comics every time I was in a book store and would always look for Sabrina first!

Now that we are done with that, "knitfomaniac", forget the pillow, put it on "Nothin' but a T Shirt" from Magknits. That would be the best one I've ever seen!

Johanna
Jofrog is Knitfrog

4/25/2005 9:37 PM  
Blogger maryse said...

ok so you feel old. imagine how i feel when i think that i'm even too old to have been interested in sabrina the teenaged witch when it was on the air before it hit the WB!

4/26/2005 10:32 AM  
Blogger Vicki Knitorious said...

I think the woolen pod sounds really comfy! ; )

4/26/2005 11:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ha! Too funny. You don't often see knitting on TV, but then when you do they are smart enough to portray it as addictive!

4/26/2005 12:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I must make something, anything, that says "knitfomaniac." Awesome.

I can't remember the last time I saw Sabrina the Teenage Witch--I just remember being all about the Harvey. :) And the principal and his love of the movie Billy Jack. Now I feel a bit old.

4/26/2005 3:18 PM  
Blogger Lorette said...

I'm tagging you for yet another book meme. The questions are posted on my blog from today. I hope you don't mind; your blog name made you an obvious choice!

4/26/2005 5:54 PM  
Blogger Beth said...

Most people would see that episode and think it's funny and silly and stupid and ridiculous and crazy. We see that episode and think it's Cool. We want to be like that.

I really wish I had thought up "knitfomaniac" so I could have called my blog Knitfomaniac. Damn.

4/27/2005 9:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home