Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Get your stitchy on.

We interrupt this finished knits parade to brag about the creativity and pure genius of my girl Stitchy. I tell you what - the worst thing about knowing these nuts in person is that you find out that THERE ARE THINGS YOU CAN'T BLOG ABOUT. This is one of those things that has been chained to my leg. I found out about Debbie's new book some time ago and I busted at the seams with Pride and Joy. But had to keep it in. Well, no more. It's officially out....go give her some lovin'.

Alrighty then....

Entering day three of the finish the knits parade. I can see why I do not talk about this stuff too much, it bores me. Granted, I bore easily but this is ridonkulous.

A few months ago, December to be exact, I came across Cast on, Cast off Jenifer's Tote-along. I didn't join because really, what more reason NOT to knit something then because you are in a knit along. Truly the kiss of death. However, I was totally smashed in the head by this post and this post by Marina from "Have sticks, will travel." These bags (the Vertical Stripe bag from Pick Up Sticks) are so cute! And they claim to stand up and they seemed to be thick and sturdy. And the color combinations are endless. And I had never felted. And I wondered what it would be like. And. And. And.

I filed this information away and a few weeks later I found myself in Lowell, MA at the Classic Elite whorehouse...I mean wearhouse. They carry Pick - Up Sticks patterns and Brown Sheep Nature Spun Yarns. I bought both and I knit the pattern during my Christmas vacation.

My goal was to knit one panel a day. There are 8 panels. The math minded among us will tell us that I finished - 8 days later - voila! 8 days of work and I had big old bag that I needed to felt before we left the 'rents house for the holidays (we have a front-loader at home, they have a top-loader.)

Our plans were to drive back to the Bean on New Years Day. You know what that meant? As the ball dropped in NYC my bag swished and swashed in the tub of the washer. It was a family affair. Dad, the engineer, was particularly interested in the process. Mom, the quilter, made a lining of some fabric I had picked out during our trip to her local quilting store. Rob, the husband, drank a lot of beer and cheered us all on!

This Quilting store? The ladies there are crazy. They talked about how they were going to corrupt me into liking quilting, how they were super excited about an up-and-coming quilting retreat, how they were glad they had made so many good friends through quilting. Total dorks.

Pot? What? Kettle? Black? I can't hear you.... I'm too busy making fun of myself. ;)

On to the pictures...





I still have to sew in the lining. L-A-Z-Y. Of course, this little detail has kept me from actually using the damn thing.

The pattern is great, the bag is sturdy the construction is ingenious. I would definitely made it again but would probably double the length of the stripes, and therefore doubling the height of the bag.

Go forth and knit a bag now. Oh, and Cascade 220? On sale at WEBS for ass cheap (ass cheap = $4.79.)

15 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOVE the bag -- so cute! So much to smile about in this post -- the quilters, the family fascination with felting, the whorehouse. :-)

4/18/2006 8:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm going to have to knit a couple of those bags - and buy some Cascade since you pointed me in that direction! :)

4/18/2006 8:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the bag!!! The Cascade sale is just evil waitin' to happen. It's wrong. I'll be there.

4/18/2006 8:52 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

Great bag and gorgeous lining! Sorry, can't talk, must check out WEBS sale...

4/18/2006 8:53 PM  
Blogger Vicki Knitorious said...

Oh, I think you do good blog when you're bored. ; ) Hahaha. LOVE the bag -- the lining is PERFECT! I think I'd probably be using it, even with the lining unattached.

Thanks for the giggles.

4/18/2006 10:30 PM  
Blogger maryse said...

ha! you make me smile
cute bag.

4/19/2006 5:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dude - I totally remember you buying the pattern, but I had no idea that you had knit the bag - it's super cute!

4/19/2006 6:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is truly a great bag. My first attempt at a bag is still half-felted, and misshapen, and and and

You do it better.

4/19/2006 6:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey! Thanks for the shout-out and I'm sorry about strapping that albatross to your leg. You wore it well, though. :)

That bag is great and so is the lining. That's one of those things I need to learn to do well. Whenver I try it, it comes out all wonky and bunchy. And since it's ass cheap, I'm going to have to blow this month's mortgage on Cascade 220 so I can make everyone I know one of those bags.

4/19/2006 7:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ohhhhh, l.o.v.e that bag!! Where, or where can I buy that pattern..?

Love the lining too, good for you, isn't felting fun??

4/19/2006 8:48 AM  
Blogger WandaWoman said...

Very cute bag. The lining is a great idea. If only I bothered to sew! I'm loving the parade of FOs!

4/19/2006 10:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cascade 220=SUPER FELTING! Nice bag chica. I'd use it without the lining too.

4/19/2006 10:34 PM  
Blogger Cathi said...

Love it- shocking, I know. I'll have to check out those patterns, too, as I've never felted either (swatches don't count).

xo

4/20/2006 3:01 PM  
Blogger CynCyn said...

cute cute cute! make sure cathi and stacey don't try to repossess that bag if you come visit here. glad someone else is a WEBS pusher too.

4/21/2006 1:32 AM  
Blogger Carrie K said...

The bag looks good! Sew in the lining and use the poor thing.

Ooooh, I don't think I could keep a cool secret like that!

4/21/2006 9:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home