Monday, December 20, 2004

Cha-Cha-Cha-Changes

Ahh, another week, another song. This particular song is well suited for today's post. I have some fabulous news that I've been hiding...

I GOT A NEW JOB!!!!

Leaping lizards, this is the best Christmas Present Yet.

Basically, I'll be moving from a little itty bitty environmental non-profit to a big huge cancer research non-profit. This is a great opportunity for me. I had hit a ceiling in my current job and it was dragging me down. Everyday. I have to say that the blogs were a great salvation. The humor and talent out there is enough to keep anyone who is sick of their job afloat. I'm afraid I've become a bit obsessed with them. Well, this new position will hopefully lead me to the land of opportunity and all that jazz. I'm super excited about it and will keep mum about the details. I'm nervous to jinx it. In fact, writing this before I start is really difficult for me. If it backs fires I blame you...

The elves have been busy. I had a super great weekend and once again, it was filled with all things blogland.
Julia has done a great job summarizing her year of blogging and knitting. I too have been enriched deeply by all of the talented and crazy bloggers out there. It's strange to have a community over the Internet. For some bizarre reason, one which can only be understood when you're in the moment, it works and it feels great. I came across the blogs while googling for help with knitting techniques. What I have found is not only that but people who will stand up for what they believe in, people who find humor in the most mundane tasks, people who love the spiritual process of working with ones hands, and people who support one another in spite of not having a warm body to hug. I am blown away by these people and am inspired by all that they do - knitting and otherwise. I've had the pleasure to meet a few in person and it's amazing how well we all "click." All the best to each of you this holiday season!

My weekend in dashes:

- Meet up with
Melanoma, Stitchy, Jenny and some of Jenny's friends... These girls are crazy. Melanoma is not covered with any sort of cancer however, she is sick and was weaning herself off Afrin. Her Rogue is coming along nicely and its beauty may just have been the final factor that pushed me onto the bandwagon. Stitcy was kind enough to bring a Stitchy original mix cd with her. This girl is crazy, her mix has Salt 'n Pepa singing about pushin' it next to the Andrews Sisters. Sacred and profane and oh so fun.

- Knit, Knit, Knit, Knit, Christmas is in a week, knit, knit, knit, knit.

- Decide to ditch
Anna and go for something a bit lighter. Ahh, the siren song of funny, witty novels drew me to the shelves. I came home with three titles this weekend: Straight Man by Richard Russo, An Invisible Sign of My Own by Aimee Bender, and Watermelon by Marian Keyes. I added this to my funny stack at home: The Pleasure of My Company by Steve Martin and A Walk in the Woods by Bill Bryson. Any other funny novels to suggest, they must be well-written? I've done David Sedaris.

- Knit, Knit, Knit, Knit, Christmas is in less than a week, knit, knit, knit, knit.



Flower Washcloth from Weekend Knitting by Melanie Faulk

- Watched Shrek 2, not as funny as the other one, but good to - knit, knit, knit, Christmas is in less than a week, knit, knit, knit, knit - while watching

- Made fun tags. Templates found here (*link at home, I'll update it later*) and
here (this was found via Blue Blog, thanks Alison.) This is what the finished project looks like...


blury...sorry....just pretend you had a few drinks...



I used my eyelet tool and some chain that I had leftover from wedding stuff. I think they look great. I didn't take any "before wrap" pictures. Here is the after wrap....



I love to wrap packages. So fun.

- Had a fabulous day with
Elisa and Mike and our friend Alan. Football on a Sunday with good friends is pretty great. Elisa and I snuck over to Circles where I picked up some yarn to make my Gma a 80th Birthday shawl. We also gorged ourselves with Chinese Food...yum Chinese Food. A treat I can't always have (I'm allergic to MSG - it's not a pretty sight.)

- Lastly,
I won my first yarn contest. Yippy. Okay, the truth is that my husband won the contest for me. What can I say? The man has a creative mind and all of this yarn around the house has given him "ideas". CrazyDaisy's husband let out a cry for help and how could my husband not come to the rescue of knitting widower in need? That's just the kind of guy he is.

Eh, hem...I swear I didn't hold his breakfast hostage to get him to enter the contest....never, I would never do such a thing.

I leave you with our Christmas Pig. He holds guard over our tree with the freshly wrapped gifts behind him.


3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

CONGRATS on the new job, WEndy! How exciting for you. :)

You are a busy girl. I miss you... hope we can get together soon.

~ Erin
www.livejournal.com/~gypsymoth4

12/20/2004 11:36 AM  
Blogger melanie said...

So great to meet you this weekend! I loved your hubbie's winning comment over at Kerstin's. How weird is it when the misters join us in blogland?

Enjoy your yarn! knit knit knit...5 days to go...

12/20/2004 12:19 PM  
Blogger Stitchy McYarnpants said...

Wow, a new job, a contest, a Christmas pig - this holiday season is all about being Bookish! Congrats on all! It was terrific meeting you on Saturday, we'll definitley have to do it again.

Also, on that mixed CD, listen to what the Andrews Sisters are singing about - they belong right next to Salt n' Pepa! Hotsy totsy, those Sisters. :) Glad you like it.

12/20/2004 1:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home