Wednesday, February 02, 2005

Dude...three's a charm.

Now Elisa, I haven't been lying to any single one of you, or all of you for that matter.*
The only trick I have up my sleeve is...

Another Finished Object!



This very adorable sweater was knit for a yet to be born child of an undetermined sex. I'm praying for a girl. All the little babes entering my life as of late have had little dingies.
And well, frankly, they're not as fun to knit for.

The specs (they aren't up on the sidebar yet...)

Yarn: Lion Boucle (The called for yarn. I didn't balk at this. I'm not sure if there is an equal substitute. It's affordable as all get out and is machine washable and dryable. This sweater is for a newborn these are all musts.)
Color: Taffy
Yardage: Hmmm, I think I used one more skein then they called for. This is status quo for me. If you EVER see me walking out of a yarn store with only the called for yardage STOP ME and BEAT ME over the head with a tree.
Needles: My *new* Denise Interchangeables which I love, love, love. Size? US 11. I like my needles large. hehem.
Pattern: Ahh, I can't find the book! It is titled Hip Knits!: 65 Easy Designs from Hot Designers. Not sure about the pattern name. Could that title be any more terrible? Who the hell wants to buy a book with the words hip and hot in it? Instant turnoff. In spite of this, it's a great little book.

The sweater is knit as one piece. My first experience with this type of construction, wow, it's much easier. Especially considering this yarn is a bitch to seam with, major pain in the arse.
I enjoyed the pattern and liked working with the yarn. I definitely think that I will use this in the future. It's a quick project that creates a precious little gift. However, I'm not sure I would use this variegated yarn again. See the pooling, splashing, etc?

I'm closing my eyes so I can't see it.

Noooo...there isn't a V in the back. (Hey! It's centered!)



Denial is the best gift you can give yourself.

Another note: a 9" long sweater does not need a 14" hood. If you knit a 14" hood against your better judgment only because you are a good little pattern follower you will end up ripping AT LEAST 5" of those inches. If you decide not to rip you will have an adult size hood that you can wear with a baby sweater attached. Call it a new fashion statement.

Patterns lie.

Never forget this.

Patterns and gauge - they lie in the same bed of lies.

* all of these are projects I worked on while on
the trip that was my job.

5 Comments:

Blogger Cursing Mama said...

Patterns totally lie, their pants are on fire, and their noses are as long as telephone wires.
How was the yarn to knit with (and rip)? I've looked but never bought for fear I'd have a real mess on my hands when we hit the inevitable ripping stage.

2/03/2005 9:45 AM  
Blogger Katie said...

Cute! I used that yarn for a shrug/poncho for my sister. The colors were brighter than I (nature?) intended, but at least it wasn't the $35/skein yarn that had first caught my eye. As my sister lives in Ohio I have no idea whether she wears it or uses it as a cat bed.

And while I sort of agree about knitting for girls vs. boys (having one of each), there are fun things you can knit for boys such as Weasley sweaters with their own initials and hoodies that they want to wear everyday with the hood up. However, there is something sweet about an Anouk or a cotton rollneck with a fuzzy heart on the front for one's wee girl.

2/03/2005 11:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a cute sweater! I started a one-piece baby sweater for a friend of mine. What an easy knit! Unfortunately, the baby was born a little on the large size, so even though I made the 6-9 month size, it was going to be too small. Destined now for my nephew due in March.

-Niki
Nice_Knits

Yeah, I agree. Patterns LIE!

2/03/2005 8:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ooh! That sweater is so cute. What a lucky baby!

Cheers,
Colleen
subwayknitter.typepad.com

2/06/2005 2:33 PM  
Blogger Cathi said...

You are a little secretkeeping knitter. I love little hoodies like that for babies, I'm sure it will be much appreciated.

2/06/2005 3:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home