Sunday, March 06, 2005

The face-less Clap **Updated**

We have a trifecta!

1 - I am in front of the computer
2 - The computer will connect to the internet
3 - My server is up and loading my pictures


I have big plans to take advantage of this unique opportunity.

First and foremost....many, many thanks to all of you who left me good wishes here, in my email inbox, or in person. My birthday kicked butt. I had a fabulous week in no small part because of you all. Your generosity and well wishes carried me far. They are still carrying me! I am slowly working my way to each of you to thank you more formally. Until I get there please know how much I appreciate your kind thoughts and actions. This was my first "public birthday". I have to admit it was a bit strange, definitely out of my comfort zone. However, it was worth the journey.

I will soon post about some of the yummy stuff that came my way and the fun that I had. In addition to the big week, I had a big weekend. I will dig out my pictures and post about this adventure sometime this week. In the meantime....

I give you the story of THE CLAP - A shawl for my grandmother.

Ms Jean was kind enough to write up a nice easy lace pattern for me. The idea was that I could whip it out in a few weeks. Just in time for the gma's 80th birthday. Eh, hem. Delusions of Grandeur anyone? I suck at lace. I can't pay attention. Even a six stitch lace pattern drives me batty. I used stitch markers, I prayed to the lace gods, I tried everything. It's just not for me. Jean, thank you for taking the time!

Stockinette here I come. The Clap here I come. Sweet relief.

Here she is finished lying about...

unblocked clap...

This is a very utilitarian version. I used Nature Spun on size 9 needles(?, I think that was the size.) It took a bit over 2 skeins...total cost couldn't have been more than $20. I omitted a few rounds of the center section. Otherwise everything was done to pattern. It was a very easy knit that comes out looking pretty damn impressive. Gma will love it. She's in the hospital right now, I'm hoping this will get to her in time to keep her warm for a bit!

Clap soaks it up:



Umm, yes I cleaned the bathroom before I took the picture.

And she's finished:






In homage to Cathi, who is so going to call me out for being a secret knitter:





The face-less clap, hidi-o-sis.




**Update: Apparently the trifecta has past. Server is down again. No pictures. Of course...this happens when about 8 million people are linking here from other sites. Blech.**

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I want to see the finished clapper, but the photos won't load....

3/07/2005 10:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Wendy, Great to meet you this weekend, sorry we didn't get a chance to chat more.

3/07/2005 12:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looks FABU! Really, really nice. I can't wait to catch it, er, I mean knit one. Do I have tell all the people I've ever slept with, so they can tell all the people they've slept with, and so on and so on, if I make one? Or can I keep it my own dirty little secret?

3/08/2005 9:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It looks great. I love the NatureSpun. I was thinking of one in Filatura di Crosa but thought it needed a more drapey and color yarn. Your solid wool one is lovely!

Katy

3/09/2005 10:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It looks great. I love the NatureSpun. I was thinking of one in Filatura di Crosa but thought it needed a more drapey and color yarn. Your solid wool one is lovely!

Katy

3/09/2005 10:07 AM  
Blogger Cathi said...

I love it, but I'm sad that it doesn't show your beautiful face! Thank you for throwing a silly one in, though. :P Love the color.

3/10/2005 5:44 PM  
Blogger Kellie said...

Oooh! I love it. It is so very pretty. It's the first one that I have seen in a solid, and I must say it looks better than all the veriegates as it really shows off the pattern well.

3/11/2005 10:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home