Sunday, May 14, 2006

In which the Girl gets her panties wet and loads up on Tequila


If you have not yet heard about the biblical rains that are slamming my fair city you must be stuck in a hole. Or not on the East Coast. Really is there a difference?! Tehehe. Kidding.

We did make it up to New Hampshire for the Sheep and Wool festival. It was wet. Saying that is just about the biggest freaking understatement of the year. Robby and I left early Saturday morning. Typically a road trip of over two hours leads to some change in weather. Not in this case. We drove and drove and it rained and rained. It was a bit cold as well.

We arrived and hit some of the barns. I showed Robby the wheels, the fleece, the yarn. He took a bunch of pictures met some of the girls that I hang out with and made nice with his fellow fair goers. Then his boyfriend Mike showed up and the two of them high-tailed it out of there and were off to greener pastures (or at least drier ones.)

I stuck it out for a few more hours. Wandered around. Laughed with some of the bloggers, ate food, drank hot cocoa (seriously, how is it that something so simple could Save. Your. Life.) I managed to get everything that I came for, with the exception of one item (part of a secret gift that will be revealed at a later date.) It was difficult to socialize through the rain, the mud, and the chattering teeth. I went solo for much of the afternoon which was an interesting experience.
My credit card is a bit hurt by the whole weekend.

Among other things I was pleased to find a Kumihimo Disk at one of the booths. 'Member when I blogged about trying this? Well this is the first one I've been able to locate in person. It seemed silly to pay as much to ship something as it was to purchase it. I was determined to wait until I found one in the real world. I did. I haven't tried it yet - I'll give you the scoop when I pull it out.

I left the fair in the late afternoon because my panties were wet from all of the damn rain. I headed over to our hotel to warm up. I was determined to finish the second sock of my pair before we headed to dinner that night. I wanted to wear it out! Total nerd. I did not finish the sock before we left. However, I did finish in the bar while we waited for a table. Fortunately Kellee was able to snap a shot with her cell phone for posterity sake. Keep in mind that I wasn't drunk - yet.


Yarn:

Yarn: Fortissima Mexiko/Fairisle

Needles: US 3
Pattern: Ann Budd's Handy Book of Knitting Patterns sock pattern. Roll top.


How cool is it that I finished the Mexiko sock in a Mexican restaurant?!

See all of those Margarita's on the table.? Um, I drank a lot. In my real life I rarely drink A LOT. I hardly ever get drunk. It's a testiment to my love for these random internet knitters who blog that I felt comfortable enough to imbibe. That and the hubber was there to take care of me. And, he would have if he wasn't too busy drinking all on his own! ;)

We woke up late the next morning, had breakfast with Elisa and Mike, rearranged cars along the lines of sex and interest and Elisa and I headed up to Patternworks. The boys headed to the guitar store and then the bar. Shocking, I know. Patternworks was a great place. I felt pretty inspired while there and managed to find some cool tools (I'm a sucker for some tools), a pattern book (or two), and a felted fish kit.

I feel very warm and fuzzy today. Happy and proud that my man spent the weekend with me and truly enjoyed getting to know the girls that I spend so much time with. Some weird cosmic thing was going on and there were a lot of husbands/sig others floating around. Our dinner included four of these characters. Watching them fit so flawlessly into the seams of our group was really neat. Just goes to show - A little knitting can bring you quite a lot.

I picked up a super cool prize for the winner of last week's contest. I just have to get Rob to pick who it is!!

14 Comments:

Blogger Carole Knits said...

Isn't it great how everybody fits together? I totally get what you mean. And really enjoyed the time I spent with you and Rob this weekend. So did Dale. How cool was it that we were at Patternworks at the same time, too?
Mwah!

5/14/2006 7:40 PM  
Blogger maryse said...

man! you guys went to patternworks? fuck!

joe said he had fun and he was talking about it with his family today and i totally thought he was kidding when he was telling everyone that if it hadn't been for the weather he would have had a great time.

5/14/2006 7:44 PM  
Blogger Cheryl said...

It was hard to socialize in the rain wasn't it? But it was nice to meet you. Glad you made it home safely!

5/14/2006 8:00 PM  
Blogger wenders said...

I'm jealous I missed you guys, but I totally shut down after a couple of hours. I'm just not all the great in the cold. :) Yay for finishing the socks, too! Patterworks is on my list of places to 'roadtrip' to this summer - driving back and forth to Maine makes it seem like stopping for yarn every so often is logical. Have a great week, and stay dry!

5/14/2006 8:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great to see you -- next time in a little warmer place, okay! Sounds like fun last night -- I adore Mexican food, but I'm thinking and knitting and tequila are not the best mix :-) See you soon!

5/14/2006 8:19 PM  
Blogger Lorette said...

You just might be the first person to finish knitting a pair of socks in a bar, then wear them the rest of the evening. This gives me something to aspire to.

5/14/2006 8:35 PM  
Blogger Lucia said...

Ruth and I just could not work up the energy to schlep kids through the monsoon. Sorry we missed you, but it may be all for the best: I truly do not hold my liquor well.

5/14/2006 9:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

so wish I could have been there.

Thanks for your voice mail!! See you tomorrow?

5/15/2006 4:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have that same fuzzy feeling about the weekend and I love the fact that all the boys had such a good time. Yay for good times.

Margaritas = official restaurant of knitbloggers at fiber events! :)

5/15/2006 11:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have been wanting to go to Patternworks - glad to know it's worth the trip. I saw the felted fish kit in their latest catalog and totally dug it! Ay yay yay Mamasita!
Carla

5/15/2006 12:24 PM  
Blogger CynCyn said...

i'm glad both of you had fun. yay for all those sig. others who went along and ended up having fun on their own!

5/15/2006 12:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like a wonderful weekend in spite of the weather!

5/15/2006 1:07 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

Sounds like a blast, wet or not!

5/16/2006 6:51 PM  
Blogger ZantiMissKnit said...

I've never been to Patternworks, but those felted fish (and the felted turtles!) and the nearby guitar shop will make it a worthwhile trip!

5/19/2006 3:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home