Monday, February 28, 2005

Tips for Meeting Bloggers.... (*updated*)

Thank you all for the birthday wishes. I'm following in Maryse's footsteps and celebrating all week. Today my sweet husband picked me up at work and drove me home. All of this in BOSTON TRAFFIC. "Luv trub luv" (As only the priest in Princess Bride could say.)

I'm also glad to hear that you all seem to love the Birthday, both half and otherwise. You guys made my day and it's not even here yet!

Rob and I took lots of pictures of fun knitting. One of the things my birthday inspires me to do is give gifts to others! My server isn't letting me upload anything right now. Hopefully tomorrow.

In the meantime go check out Cara's lovely description of her time here in Boston. Be sure to read the comments to get the REAL story. I was able to spend a good part of Friday torturing her with treks through the cold-ass streets of Boston. We were in search of fiber and man did we ever find it. My stamina was like no other. That is, until the hunger coma hit. The last leg of the trip is always the hardest. Lucky for us this leg ended at the restaurant.

For those of you who have yet to meet a fellow blogger in person let's all attempt to offer some pointers and/or insights. I'll list a few here and we'll see where it goes:

1) First and foremost....you can never be too careful. Each time I've left the house to go meet these "strangers" Robby has carefully requested and written down their phone numbers. That way when I don't show up he can give them a ring and ask them where they've hidden my body parts. While we don't have much experience with this scenario we both imagine the information would be forthcoming upon the inquiry. Cara's beloved advised her not to get in the car with any bloggers she just met. Cars lead to evil things.

2) When meeting the "stranger" be sure to give a description of yourself. Pictures are not always accurate. Note: Jokes about, "Being the person weilding the long knife" are typically not very well received. I'm not sure why. I'll write it off to the lack of tone in the printed word.

3) It is best to always carry a sharpie pen in your knitting bag. Blogging knitters are like magnets, they attrack others. The pen is useful for autographs and the like. You haven't lived until a knitting blogger has signed your chest and vice/versa.

4) When a well known blogger is spotted in a yarn store it is best to surround them and bombard them from all sides. We are all a bit embarassed. It's the life we have choosen to lead....a cross we must all bear. Fame and fortune have drawbacks, I know I hate it when bloggers interupt my private time in yarn stores. All 7 of my readers are such a pain in the arse. Always lurking behind that stack of Noro, pretending to finger that Jo Sharp. They, like me, know that in the end if I get that ball band signed I've got a free ticket to Maryland Sheep and Wool from the ebay auction proceeds. (Sorry Alison and Johanna, I don't get out much)

5) Lastly, be prepared to be amazed. If you have connected with this person online, if you "get" their sense of humor, you will feel comfortable with this person and your craft will provide the common ground. I will never cease to be amazed at how well I have gotten along with each of the knit bloggers that I have met in the past few months. They're like me! Only better. (Scary guys, I know...) However, this sense of comfort is no excuse for blabbering on and on about your scary third grade teacher and the last time you saw your favorite pair of jeans, and how horrible your Valentine's Day was. Leave that for your blog...where they have the power to "click-off".

Any other advice out there?

***UPDATE*** Okay, cursingmama's comment freaked me a bit. You guys know I'm kidding, right?!

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

So what do I do? Get right in the car with you!

Man, Georgie was pissed! ;-)

You crack me up - but seriously - how funny were we in A Good Yarn? We scared those girls bad - even if they won't ever admit it! Power to the blogstalkers! Yo!

2/28/2005 11:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is *too* funny.

3/01/2005 8:40 AM  
Blogger Bookish Wendy said...

Elisa - that's a good one. Maybe you guys should have said, Dunkin' Donuts....that would have been less confusing don't you think?

Cara - all I can say is you are damn lucky I took my meds that day. Otherwise you would have been left in a ditch for sure. ;)

Colleen - no insight?

Lauren - don't worry, I've slowly been coaching Elisa in "blog stalking 101" She's got a few tricks up her sleeves. You all will be set for MD Sheep and Wool.

Miss Melanie of Melanoma is without the power to comment today. Her corporate culture has blocked her from blog land outside of bloglines. Her comment (received via email) is as follows:
"I think something should be said for bloggers who are meeting in a foreign land - i.e. one is travelling to a city where another lives and (and I KNOW this has happened) has already agreed to stay with said blogger, even though they haven't met. This is a risky move, but one with potentially even greater rewards because staying at someone's house, even seeing someone's house, is like a little window into their brain. A window you can't just get at a cafe SnB. In this case, it's wise to also leave the host blogger's address with loved ones. Phone #'s can be cells and not give you a clue as to which basement the dismembered guest blogger may be in..."

Good point about the address Melanie!

3/01/2005 9:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My sister kept asking me - are you sure this is safe? BE CAREFUL she said.

My husband, on the other hand, had a great time telling all his business associates that his wife was off in a strange city with complete strangers. He might have mentioned knitting, he might not have.... Go figure!

3/01/2005 10:53 AM  
Blogger Cursing Mama said...

The sharpie marker thing freaked even me out a bit....moving on....I'd love to meet my blog friends, but who in their right mind would choose to trave l to Minnesota? Sometimes I can't believe I still live here.

3/01/2005 12:18 PM  
Blogger Vicki Knitorious said...

Excellent tips! I have so enjoyed reading the accounts of your meet-up. And I've never met a blogger in person (yet), so I'm taking good notes. Thanks. ; )

3/01/2005 12:24 PM  
Blogger Katie said...

Happy Birthday Wendy! I hope you get lots of books, yarn, and time to read and knit on your big day.

3/01/2005 3:13 PM  
Blogger Cursing Mama said...

I did totally know you were kidding...but it is funny you wrote it, sounds like an 80's hair band stunt.
People don't still do that, do they?

3/01/2005 9:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home